Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing With Big Rims/Rubberbands

CornWater
    That may be true, but the unit weight of steel is sill going to be more than rubber, no matter how you slice it. Aluminum wheels will definately help.

superdave013
    Not necessarily, it is the rotating mass that is key, and the wheel generally weighs a hell of a lot more than the tire...
    Ok, I see your point. Those rims must be heavy fockers then. I used to run some 38" swampers and on a 15" rim that was a very heavy set up. I just could not fathom a 24" bling rim with a rubber strip weighing more. But I guess I could be wrong.

CornWater
    Don't know that it weighs more, just weighs more at a further distance from the center. But 38's should have upgraded brakes as well.

lucky
    Ok, I see your point. Those rims must be heavy fockers then. I used to run some 38" swampers and on a 15" rim that was a very heavy set up. I just could not fathom a 24" bling rim with a rubber strip weighing more. But I guess I could be wrong.
    i highly doubt your wrong - your just too nice a guy - to call bullshit

superdave013
    Don't know that it weighs more, just weighs more at a further distance from the center. But 38's should have upgraded brakes as well.
    Yes, that is another good point. If you are going to have rotating weight it's best to keep it as close to the hub as you can.
    Those 38's were on a 1963 one ton truck 4x4 truck that used to be a wrecker truck. It was a real beast and had no problems locking up all 4 wheels. Thing still didn't stop worth a crap. lol But hey, those bias plys sure worked good in the mid west mud!

Biglue
    I have a truck on 22 inch wheels and it tows fine. Although I have the biggest tire available. You will not be able to brake for hell though. I would also upgrade the brakes. I have a set of 4 piston calipers on and braking is a lot more comfortable whe somebody on the road kills your space buffer on the road while towing.

CornWater
    i highly doubt your wrong - your just too nice a guy - to call bullshit
    You're probably right, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff..

PHOTOGLOU
    I have a set of 22 8 lug weight rated rims with 305/45/22 weight rated tires yes it takes a little longer to stop the 3/4 ton sub with them but I also have electronic trailer brakes on the boat trailer that will stop both rig and boat without the brake pedal..... do you have elec brakes??? make sure you have the right tires for the weight of your boat and rig INSURANCE MAY NOT cover you if you have an accident due to wrong tires

lucky
    You're probably right, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff..
    no i'm not right - just a rambling ass - and i'm a fan of the way dave does stuff - he is artisian ok i'lll go play inanother sand box

Totally IncapASSitated
    I used to have a Yukon with 22's riding on 305/45's and had no problems (with the tires and wheels that is...now the transmission was a whole different issue!!! lol)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast