Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got the rock out!

Riverat84
    yay! we got the rock out!....thanx to my buddy's dad and his friends on the street...we hit it w/ some mapp gas torchin, and an impact wrench and went to town....turns out i only have 3 good holes to thread new screws in....the 4th hole we tried to drill out the threaded shank after breaking off the screw head then we tried to tap it but ended up breaking the tap...im sure 3 really tight screws will hold that intake grate on fine dont you guys think?.....the rock came out after a minute of loosening it from the impellar w/ a mini pry bar and no damage to the impellar! im so glad we didnt have to pull the pump off that would be horrible! thanx to errbody on here for their advice...
    Reid

bradbigsley
    i wouldnt run with three screws.. i would drill the holes out thru the top of the intake and bolt it in... all four holes that is..

Ken F
    Yep, what he said. Do NOT run it with 3 bolts!!!!!
    Ken F

Riverat84
    i wouldnt run with three screws.. i would drill the holes out thru the top of the intake and bolt it in... all four holes that is..
    yeah, sounds like a good idea, would that be hard to seal? or just hit it w/ silicone?
    thanx,
    reid

IMPATIENT 1
    yeah, sounds like a good idea, would that be hard to seal? or just hit it w/ silicone?
    thanx,
    reid
    IT A GOOD IDEA TO OUTLINE THE GRATE MOUNTING PLATE WITH SILICONE BEFORE BOLTING IT UP.PUT SOME ON THE HOLES AND THREADS,SHOULD BE OK.
    THE REASON YOU CAN'T RUN 3 IS IF THE GRATE COMES LOOSE,BY BY PUMP!OR AT LEAST THE IMPELLOR.

Riverat84
    so is this something i can get done before sunday?.....im not too sure about drilling through my intake on the pump too much...we'll see how it goes i guess.

robk
    So is drilling the holes out and bolting through usually done as a result of stripped out holes or just something to strengthen up the grate mounting?
    Rob

bradbigsley
    should only take about half hour. maybe longer in your case cause you have to drill out that old screw.. just remember to use ALOT of ant seize cause they are a real bitch to un bolt if not.. hardest part is finding the right size bolt. not much clearence in that area for me w/10 qt. pan.. piece of cake..

bradbigsley
    So is drilling the holes out and bolting through usually done as a result of stripped out holes or just something to strengthen up the grate mounting?
    Rob
    not really. those grates/loaders are pretty heavy.. its more a feeling of security (screws suck).. half hr. of your time to possibly save thousands$$$$.

Riverat84
    should only take about half hour. maybe longer in your case cause you have to drill out that old screw.. just remember to use ALOT of ant seize cause they are a real bitch to un bolt if not.. hardest part is finding the right size bolt. not much clearence in that area for me w/10 qt. pan.. piece of cake..
    yea i know! there isnt any screw in there, just a slightly bigger hole than the others, since it has been stripped of all of the threads....ill check it out thanx
    reid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast