Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nordskog Info Needed!

Period correct would be too cool for words, right down to the last detail. Perhaps that Cammer that was in that boat in the other thread?

vdriver4ever
    I am really excited to be turning my boat over to Dave for a second restoration. This boat was owned and driven by Skip Miller and tunned by Bobby Davalos in 1971/72. In 1978 some Air National Guard came to Idaho for some training. One of the guardsman was telling my brother of this boat a friend of his had. I guess it had been sitting for some time. My brother inquired about the boat and eventually bought it. It came with a H/M 427 ford with webbers. My brother ran it for a couple years and sold the motor to a guy who was building a cobra kit car. Then the boat was sold to an uncle in AZ. He played with it for a few years and was ready to part ways when I got interested in it. I purchased the boat back in 1988. I spent the next two years bringing it back to life. Other interest have kept the boat garaged for at least four years now. After attending the red rock event (with my grandpa boat) I started thinking about going through the boat again.
    My brother Mike found my dad's last built Rayson Craft that had a Louie Unser 427 ford in it. He was in the process of going through that motor when he met Stan Drake in Havasu. Stan had a 427 Tunnel Port that came out of his Aqua Craft for sale so Mike picked it up. I then purchased the Louie Unser 427 from him for this second restoration.
    I have more photos I can share. This boat was featured in Powerboat Magazine April 1996.
    Some time in June I will make the treck from Boise to Carlsbad with the boat. Until then both Dave and I are excited to learn more about other Nordskogs.

ColeTR1
    It came with a H/M 427 ford with webbers.
    I have more photos
    Until then both Dave and I are excited to learn more about other Nordskogs.
    They did have Webbers on them with 8 chrome stacks that turn 90 degrees facing backward. It looked so cool!! And had zoomies that went straight up about 2 ft. into the air. Ted told me they even plumbed water into the struts for cooling. And they all had the little glass windshield. I would love to see the windshield go back on for sure. I would like to see some more pictures and am glad that Dave is helping on the boat.

Dave Sammons
    Have you talked to the guy that brings his viking out to Long Beach? He's seems to know all the info on them.
    Is this the boat? This picture was given to me in Needles and I was told that this one was one of Nordskog's personal boats. If the paint is the original scheme, than it would make some sense, alot of his boats were painted red, white and blue.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../1517nord1.jpg

Dave Sammons
    Ted who is like a second dad to me, worked for Nordskog in the sixties and built a lot of the hardware in those Viking-Spirit boats. He has lots of pictures of them. And I know some are of that boat, I remember the brown and blue!! There was no cutting corners when they made them, you should put it back to original condition. I would like to bring him down to see the boat and he can bring his picture book with him.
    Let's plan on it! It would be REALLY cool to get him down here! Not only for the project and Viking-Spirit history, but, to hear a few stories about, without question, one of the most innovative/successful boat racers there ever was. Sounds like a long lunch at the Coyote Bar and Grill on a Saturday!!

olbiezer
    dave.....after seeing that b boat u fixed up i am sure u will have this one looking brand new and looking great soon. keep us posted guy.....thanks

ColeTR1
    I'm posting this with Ted he worked for Nordskog 66~68. He only remembers one boat being build with a 427 Ford, it also had Webers and H&M oil cooler. The boat was all dark butterscotch brown with Gold metal flake in the brown, with white trim. It was owned and driven by a gentleman named Hartley White Insurance Broker / Aircraft sportsman. The boat was prepared for a marathon race in San Diego. Mr. White was killed early in the race. The boat was covered up after the accident and Ted never saw it again. Ted has looked at these pictures and says it has the Nordskog marathon hardware in it, steering and under water gear, Strut, Whip Strut and steering quadrant. It also has the correct Finish Line brand name cavitation plate hardware. Even the anodizing of the hardware looks original for Mr. White’s boat. Nordskog also made a lightweight hull for drag racing. Big Block Chevy’s were the preferred Engine in the majority of these boats, Because Nordskog had a special timing cover for BBC that used a gear drive with side-by-side fuel pump and water pump combo.

vdriver4ever
    Thanks for all the help Cole,
    My boat is a 1971 and the hull is #17.
    The boat originally had rails that ran up past the motor. It also has a cool water pickup set up built into the strut.
    The boat was built for a racer in Argentina but once he found out the duty tax was more then the boat he declined it. At that time Bob N. sold the boat to Skip Miller.
    Please keep all the info coming.

BILLY.B
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517nord7.jpg[/IMG]
    Gotta dig the steering assy. and that Transom Very cool looking transom and steering hardware.

tygar1
    Great pics

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast