Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Berk JE pump shifter cable

Konabud
    I'm not one to just go with what they used 30 years ago. After having really sticky steering since I owned the boat (only six months) I wanted the best cable I could buy since I wanted it to be as free as possible and basically have to tear the whole boat apart to change it. The Teleflex Tfxtreme cables are supposed to be (according to my research) the freest running cable out there. So to take advantage of the newer technology I decided to go with the same cable on the shifting. Who knew that they would change the cable diameter? It's not all that big of a deal anyway, it just seems that they didn't take into consideration the probably one and only case where it made a difference.

74TAHITI
    I was told that the cable diameter problem came about when Teleflex bought Morse. Rather than tool up to produce replacement cables in the Morse diameter, they just produced them in their own(Teleflex's) existing size.
    Like Duane said, in the case of a JE pump it isn't that important, as the o-ring in the through-transom fitting is there to prevent chafing as the cable moves back-and-forth through it. The flexible boot is the seal.
    Olbiezer, the JE pump uses a 43c, not a 43bc. The 43c has a clamp-style mount at both ends. The 43bc has a clamp-style at one end and a bulkhead-style mount at the other end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12