Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: any pool guys?

MagicMtnDan
    Hope this isn't off topic for this thread...
    How much money can I expect to save if I work with the pool contractors directly instead of using a "pool company" to do the entire project? It looks like the pool contractors are very busy and as a result the pool prices are very high. I talked to a guy who digs holes for pools and he suggested I "do it myself" and get the contractors and equipment myself. I think I can do the design, drawings, pull the permits and get quality contractors (I think) - is it feasible to "DIY" and do it right while saving some serious cash (I'm guessing I could save around $10,000)?
    Thanks

vodkarocks
    mmd
    I put my own pool in when I lived in Houston. Believe me you will save more than 10,000 in California. I saved more than that in Houston and it cost about 1/3 as much in Texas vs California. Can't believe what people pay for pools here
    The other thing is you can do it much faster. I was adding water to my pool on the 20th day doing it myself. I just had a neighbor do a pool and it took the contractor 6 months.

Dave C
    whats a pool?

Dave C
    soooooo whats the point of that??? other than making Blings boat bigger! :2purples:
    a pool is a large gunite lined hole with chlorine filled filtered water, but that's not important right now :messedup: - keyes
    I'm J/K'ing. You can count the # of pools around here on one hand.

UltraStealth
    Hope this isn't off topic for this thread...
    How much money can I expect to save if I work with the pool contractors directly instead of using a "pool company" to do the entire project? It looks like the pool contractors are very busy and as a result the pool prices are very high. I talked to a guy who digs holes for pools and he suggested I "do it myself" and get the contractors and equipment myself. I think I can do the design, drawings, pull the permits and get quality contractors (I think) - is it feasible to "DIY" and do it right while saving some serious cash (I'm guessing I could save around $10,000)?
    Thanks
    Try SVC Pools in Santa Clarita or Designer Pools in Palmdale. I am in the works of getting quotes from both. I have looked at two contractors rather than pool companies as well, and they seem to be in the same range give or take $5,000 or $10,000. I have also had some landscape companies provide a bid, and they seem to be a little cheaper. Good luck!

riverroyal
    doing yourself may save you some money but it may be a pain in the ass,getting all the sub contractors going,buying equiptment,permits,etc.You maybe screaming at multiple contractors instead of one ,also a pool contractor will have some kind of warranty,if you go with different sources for each task it may be tough to point a finger if something goes wrong.Its sometimes worth it to spend the extra money

MagicMtnDan
    You're right but having to deal with the different subcontractors may not be all that bad since it'll force me to get involved with each one and see what they're doing and how they're doing it.
    It will certainly take more time but the savings should be worth it. If/when there are problems I assume I'll know who I need to talk to about it.
    FYI: I got a price of $38,000 for a relatively small, rectangular-shaped pool with nothing extra. It includes Pebbletech finish and salt water system with supposedly top-of-the-line equipment. It's a turnkey price but there are no extras, no landscaping, no extra concrete or tile/stone work, etc. I'm waiting on a couple other prices but my feeling is that this price is very fat and could be a lot less if I DIY.

riverroyal
    in north san diego that would be a fair price,from what I understand pool companys wont do the hardscape stuff anymore,you need a landscape contractor also,theres another 15k or so

JB in so cal
    i have a few question,thinking of a major career change soon,wanting to spend more time with kids etc,,thanks
    If you want to go a different direction for employment and more time with the kids, how about this:?
    Move out to Black Meadow and work the front office - couldn't go anywhere but up, I say! Kids could go to school in Parker; wifey could get a security job on the dam; You'd be......................Livin Large. :messedup:

UltraStealth
    Try SVC Pools and Designer Pools. They do hardscape, landscape etc.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast