Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey fiberglass wizards, little help?

Craig
    One small winter project is to make a fiberglass tailgate for a guys racecar. I know, tailgate on a racecar. But the car that the mold was orignally made for has gone 8.98 in the 1/4, we're talking '68 Buick Sportwagon with Buick power non the less He asked me to make another tailgate from the mold he had for a guy with a 10 second version. I've made glass bumpers, hoods and stuff before, but never something that is two piece. So the question, once I finish the inner section, I have to join it to the outer skin. Do I just rough both mating surfaces up and use some resin and clamp them together? Resin and thin piece of glass? Or what? I know the boat builders sometimes use Plexus, but I haven't found anywhere to buy that. Any thoughts? Here's the first piece, which is the outer skin. I'll start on the inner frame this weekend.
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...gate/skin4.jpg

ROZ
    You have some great looking cracks in that concrete!

Tom Brown
    You have some great looking cracks in that concrete!
    I'd use some long hair polyester filler to fill those cracks, after opening them up with a die grinder.

Tom Brown
    BTW, I'm not really a wizard but I've done a little glass work in my day.
    I'd grind the surfaces as rough as you can, then use a couple of 1 oz layers of matt, or a single 1.5 oz layer, if the pieces fit well enough. Be sure to clamp well, of course.

maxwedge
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to join that stuff, but when you figure it out, can you make me some fiberglass fenders for an 85 Nissan truck? Because when I tried, they looked baaad! LOL :crossx:

Craig
    Hey Roz, the cracks match the ones in the slab under the kitchen They build them fast out here, not automatically good!
    Tom, what you said is what I was thinking. Just enough matt to hold the resin and lots of clamps!
    Maxwedge, that's funny, how bad could they have been? I can't believe you couldn't find anything aftermarket. Doing it my way is strictly out of necessity. If you want it and they don't make it, build it yourself
    Craig

riverracerx
    I am in agreeance. That is definitely a tailgate!

maxwedge
    Hey Roz, the cracks match the ones in the slab under the kitchen They build them fast out here, not automatically good!
    Tom, what you said is what I was thinking. Just enough matt to hold the resin and lots of clamps!
    Maxwedge, that's funny, how bad could they have been? I can't believe you couldn't find anything aftermarket. Doing it my way is strictly out of necessity. If you want it and they don't make it, build it yourself
    Craig
    As far as I know they don't make them, but if you know of a source for pre-runner style Nissan 720 fenders, that would be great. I tried to use the original fenders to make a mold but it was on a Sunday. I was in a hurry and the only store open with fiberglass stuff was Autozone. So I tried using the Bondo stuff (fiberglass cloth and resin). Way too light but I was thinking I could build up a few layers. I wound up with a semi-cured, flakey, sticky mess. Pretty funny really. :yuk:

Craig
    The guy who originally made the tailgate mold put balsa core on the back for stiffness, really did a nice job. Don't know why you couldn't find this stuff at Autozone!!! This was more of a learning experience for me. I might try and make some doors for my GS next Same concept, just have to make the mold as well. This is the car the tailgate mold was originally made for. 500+ cubic inch Buford with a sheetmetal tunnel ram and a Lenco! I did at least make the rear bumper for it
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...ed/TAwagon.jpg
    http://www.taperformance.com/_derive...nstand_jpg.gif

Jbb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast