Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil

Blown 472
    Just wondering, as I am hearing two diff thoughts on oiling.
    First, run a heavy oil ie 40 or 50 weight as this has a heavier film.
    Second, thinner weight which will give greater volume of oil thru the bearings.
    Now my thinking would be on a blown or high cylinder pressure application to run a heavier weight as is has a thicker layer between the bearing and the crank.

21rayson
    i was always told to run the slippery type.

People have a ton of different theories. We run a 1200 HP aspirated Olds in a Flat and we use 10W 40 Mobil 1 Synthetic and have NEVER experience any problems.

rude235
    i would definitely run a synthetic. i usually recommend 20w50 amsoil, but then again i'm a bit biased.

CircleJerk
    RIGHT ON! Amsoil 20-50. Use it in all my boats and my bearing clearances werent perfect to begin with. Two years of racing circles, NO obvious wear! Does this say enough? Wifes motor had .0017 too tight clearance so we run 5-30 so the oil pressure is a normal 65lbs warm. Motor is 18 years old without bearings! smile_sp

UBFJ #454
    We run Royal Purple R-11 (equiv. to 5/20W) in our normally aspirated 1,500+ Hp engine.

LeE ss13
    OK, ... here's a thought. It takes more HP to pump thick oil in a high volume application than thinner oil using stardard volume. So why not build an engine to run 30 weight oil with a standard volume pump ???

ROZ
    Blown, your the last person I'd expect to see having a lubericant problem...lol
    [ January 20, 2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Unchained
    I ran straight 30w mobil 1 for the first two seasons in the blown 540 Arias and the engine would burn one quart per hour of run time. I switched to 15/50 mobil 1 and only used 1 quart in the whole season. I got less fluctuations in the oil pressure gauge after a WOT run also.

burbanite
    We now use 0 weight synthetic in our race engines..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast