Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Rev. Williams Engine Project

SoCal_fun
    Cool!

Rev. Williams
    ***** UPDATE **********
    Sorry for the delay, its been a busy few months.
    So here it is. I've worked the jetting up to 83p and 85sec and the plugs like it so I think thats good, yet it still only runs up to 4800 and slowly to 5400. Top speed is still 74. I even tried a bigger prop 28p and got the same speed but only 4700 rpms. It's runs and sounds great, but lacks any real uuumf !
    I also removed the stock water pump and ran a by-pass to cool everything. this set up also allowed me to have one less belt dragging on the crank.
    My next thought is removing the Edelbrock RPM heads and trying some AFR's. If anyone is in the trading mode or has a set for cheap..PM me.
    Also, the water issue has been resolved. Thanks to Bud down at Havasu Eliminator all if fixed. Turned out to be a rub-rail issue...meaning at one point it was replaced in one section and the old rivot holes were never filled!! So water came right in and into the sponson.

Rompn
    ***** UPDATE **********
    Sorry for the delay, its been a busy few months.
    So here it is. I've worked the jetting up to 83p and 85sec and the plugs like it so I think thats good, yet it still only runs up to 4800 and slowly to 5400. Top speed is still 74. I even tried a bigger prop 28p and got the same speed but only 4700 rpms. It's runs and sounds great, but lacks any real uuumf !
    I also removed the stock water pump and ran a by-pass to cool everything. this set up also allowed me to have one less belt dragging on the crank.
    My next thought is removing the Edelbrock RPM heads and trying some AFR's. If anyone is in the trading mode or has a set for cheap..PM me.
    Also, the water issue has been resolved. Thanks to Bud down at Havasu Eliminator all if fixed. Turned out to be a rub-rail issue...meaning at one point it was replaced in one section and the old rivot holes were never filled!! So water came right in and into the sponson.
    Sounds good. Glad the water issue got fixed. Just keep working on the speed deal. So, I sold my yellow and blue Southwind jet last year that you and Bigamist saw. Getting the itch to go out again now that summer is here so let me know if you need a second hand out on the water anytime.

Beer-30
    ***** UPDATE **********
    I would really seriously check with INFO on that. I have seen the Edelbrocks build some serious HP. Hell, you engine would scream with stock iron heads on it, so I wouldn't be looking at the heads.
    Timing and ignition power? Secondaries not opening? Plenty of fuel pressure at WOT, right?

Beer-30
    INFO, you really think he's in the 600 hp category? It's a 540, right? I know the GM572 street version has some serious cam and intake, and it's at 620. You built it, so I don't know what parts went into it, porting and whatnot, but I would see think he is more in the 510-520 area.
    Maybe he is just expecting more than it has? Just grabbing at straws.

INFO, you really think he's in the 600 hp category? It's a 540, right? I know the GM572 street version has some serious cam and intake, and it's at 620. You built it, so I don't know what parts went into it, porting and whatnot, but I would see think he is more in the 510-520 area.
    Maybe he is just expecting more than it has? Just grabbing at straws.
    It's a 496.

565edge
    Dont know if you checked.What ratio is your outdrive?Maybe you need to get a smaller prop to let that thing rev up.Prop will have alot to do with it.

Beer-30
    74, 75 mph seems pretty good to me for a hot 496.

Infomaniac
    It's a 496 with fairly small oval port heads decent hyd roller cam and compression close to 10:1
    New heads means new intake manifold.
    Where is the "X" dimension set up? If more HP does not give more speed then the boat setup is better money spent than trying to get even more HP

Carnivalride
    If more HP does not give more speed then the boat setup is better money spent than trying to get even more HP
    Man if this isn't about truth!
    Kinda funny everybody wants to talk power first :argue: then when it doesn't do what they wanted/expected they decide to look at the set-up. :idea: