Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Building the Century Jet"

Jungle Boy
    Joker, You must boat Clements. I think he has a big twin. She ain't much of a speed demon big it will haul a hell of a moose, quads and small squad of men. I have his impellers in my boats and they work great. Better than anything I've tried. Also, Rob's raceboat run 107 mph with a 454 ci small block. I've held the GPS and radar at that speed. It's fast. But it is nowhere near the $25K cap. I believe the motor would run around 50K Canadian (Hey, that's about 10000 US !!). Yes, it can be done.

skeepwerkzaz
    You would need a N2O bottle the size of the shuttles main tank. Super chevy magazine just did a test to see how much juice a built small block could handle. They blew the motor on a 750 horse pull!!! Using a 250 horse kit. WOW. A very high quality jet boat capable of 100mph could easily be built for under 25K, you just have to be a savy shopper. I would bet that I could do it on pump gas with a single carb, no I guarantee I could. I am going to build one some day that with a single carb will smoke anyting short of a full on race boat. No sweat. 540 merlin block, Big Chief heads, Dart or sheetmetal intake w/ fogger, 1300 cfm BG, etc etc....... all in a CP hull.

riverlover
    I would like to be the first to donate my boat for the project. It's 18'6 Challenger and it could use the make over. The motor is a 460 Ford (would like BBC) and the pump is a Jacuzzi golden eagle (golden turkey). The problem is I don't have the $25K to invest so you guys can watch GS build a project. So pass the hat and when you get up to 10K let GS know and I will tow it right over.
    RL

LVjetboy
    Sounds good to me Riverlover. I threw 25k out there but from what several are saying, may be done for less than 20k. I'm no expert in engines, but like the idea of a Merlin block with fogger. And something that will live for many a summer.
    Also love the idea of a reasonably priced jet boat kicking props a** at over 100 mph! If Greg could do an article like this, we could get ideas on how to push our rigs to the triple D.
    jer

gregshoemaker
    All these ideas have merit but we have to come up with and investor that like to put up 25000.00 to fund the project.I have no problem helping with the project but need someone to back the project. Greg Shoemaker

SB
    As long as we're getting weird, how about 2 engines, turning one pump? Maybe an overdrive gear. What's the max rpm you can turn a pump?

wrightnow
    This is done all the time (under 25k) the key is pick the right hull. You will need one that is capable of speeds of triple -D (some form of tunnel). This is a run down of my project.
    18' CP wullwing $4,000
    New Trailer $2,200
    Interior $ 550
    Race Pump (MPD) $3,000
    Diverter manual $ 400
    Engine Bill Scotten $7,500
    BBC 30 over iron
    alum. heads polished
    tunnel ram 750dp polished
    13.5 to 1 av gas
    Gauges $ 350
    Wiring harness $ 250
    Misc $1,000
    Total $19,250
    This was my second trouble free season with the boat. It is set up from 60% ski and 40% race. and run's in the high 90's. We ski and wake board all day then ski at night.
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Vi/Oh/c2/wB86660.jpg
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SA/wA73939.jpg
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/su/tz63942.jpg
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Th/sI/bd/wz85382.jpg

SL1111
    Greg Shoemaker, you stated you needed someone to fund this project. I have spoken to you about one of your EDGE boats as I am thinking of buying one. I would consider backing this project if you could use an EDGE hull. You guys get the test boat and when all is said and done I have a dialed ride. Sounds like a win-win deal. Let me know and we can discuss price. I was looking at going with an I/O, but for the right set up I would go jet...
    Scott Lubben
    scottlubben@hotmail.com

flat broke
    I was going to respond to Greg's last post regarding finding a customer who would co-op but it looks like we have a winner. BTW, I'm sure you could bait one of the Nos companies into floating a system for a test and writeup in HB. I have had friends eval stuff in other industries and they have always gotten to keep the goods unless they were prototypes.
    Chris

LVjetboy
    Good idea Chris!
    SL111, what's the Edge hull like?
    Maybe HBM could kick in a little too...just to appease the unruly jethead bunch
    jer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast