Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Boats

jtmarten,
    Anthony's were hand laid-up, like most others of the 70s, Sleek,Tahiti/ Hawaiian (except for the tri hulls), Avenger, Kona and on and on. Not many of the entry level to mid level boats weren't hand laid. I can only think of a handful that were chopped.
    I think all these old owner/builders would get a big kick out of the enjoyment their boats are still giving to their present owners.

76ANTHONY
    thanks jmartin. these things are alot of work arent they?, but well worth it in the end. :hammer2: :coffeycup

wsuwrhr
    I think all these old owner/builders would get a big kick out of the enjoyment their boats are still giving to their present owners.
    I have talked about this with Old Rigger in the past.
    I own a '74 19' Anthony Jet. I completely redid the boat starting 10 years ago and I have been enjoying ever since, inbetween when the mighty Dodge power doesn't break drive parts.
    If you are interested pics of the process could be seen on Brian's boat shop pages. I have posted pics of it here on the boards.
    I love my jet, it isn't a lightweight potato chip my any means though, that hull is heavy.
    Brian

I own a '74 19' Anthony Jet.... it isn't a lightweight potato chip by any means though, that hull is heavy.
    Brian
    Brian,
    that's a good thing, imho...........

wsuwrhr
    Brian,
    that's a good thing, imho...........
    In a round-about way, that's kinda what I was sayin'.
    Haha, it ain't no featherweight.
    Brian

76ANTHONY
    HEY THATS THE BOAT THAT MADE ME REDO MY WHOLE BOAT. NOW I CAN BLAME YOU FOR THE COUNTLESS HOURS AND DOLLARS :hammer2: :idea:

Anthony Boats

Previous post: Anthony Boats was Tony Hagwood. He was a rigger at Tahiti back in the day. I don't remember when he started at Tahiti but it was after my dad started there in '66. He lived in Bellflower if memory serves and for a while he and my dad were pretty good buddies. I can remember them going to the river at our place back then.
    Tony did like a lot of others and branched out on his own in the mid-70s when the jet boat deal was booming. I think his shop was in Hawaiian Gardens? He lasted until the gas crunch of 79-80 and packed it in.
    Last I heard, and this was a good 10 years ago, he was a preacher somewhere in Texas. :supp:

Reply:
    Anthony Boats was Anthony (Tony) Hagewood. He did work as a rigger at Tahiti. He started Anthony Boats with my Father Floyd Hagewood in the late 60's. They purchased discontinued 18 foot molds from Tahiti to start the business with in Hawaiian Gardens, CA.. Later, they developed molds for 19', 20', and 21' hulls. They came with Berkley or Panther jet pumps and usually had Chevy 454 inboard engines and roadrunner trailers. They had about 20 dealers mostly in the southwest and a few back east and northwest. They sold about 100 boats a year for 8 years from $6,000 to $15,000 each until sales drastically dropped off, the cost of liability insurance became unbearable and the company had to close. The boats were well made and very strong.

I was a proud owner of an 18' v-hull with a 454 Chevy engine and Panther pump which I purchased in 1972 and sold it 10 years later when I started having kids (see photo). The boat is still in use today.

When the business closed, Tony moved to Southeastern Texas and went to work for DEP chemicals as a sales rep then manager. No, he wasn't a preacher. Tony recently retired and has stayed in Southeastern Texas. Floyd Hagewood went back to the clothing business and worked for C&R Clothers as a District Manager until he retired. Floyd passed away in May 2010.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0002.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	88Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	89
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	940285776_hmMAX-M-1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	90  
    Last edited by dlhagewood; 05-31-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: wrong attachment

dlhagewood, Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting that info. I own an 18' Anthony hull, it's been in my family for about 20 years now! Keep posting whatever you got on them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12