Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal for a jet?

mevale
    I finally got the motor tuned and she is running great! When I get the boat out of hole and running I canÂ’t really control the boat the boat slides all over the place. Is this normal for a jet? The boat is 21Â’ day cruiser the pump has been completely been gone threw by MPD the pump has a loader, pre loader, bronze A impeller, droop and place diverter.
    The motor is Ford 467 Blown running 600 hp give or take the best I seen is 63 mph. What can I do for the boat to run straight? It feels a bit unsafe at this moment especially when I hit some good rollers.
    Thanks
    Joe

Lightning
    What type of hull is it. Sounds like you may have some issues with the bottom of the boat.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Has somebody cut the 2 fins on the intake off? Budlight

flat broke
    Could that boat be bow steering? In other words, the boat likes to "hunt" in different directions as the entry on the bow follows the changing contour of the water?
    If it IS bow steering, check the back of the hull for hook which may cause it to run wet and drive the bow of the boat down.
    If it's not bow steering and feels loose over certain water conditions, you may need to look into a turning fin (not a rudder). Additionally, when trying to turn a boat of that size, make sure you don't have it trimmed out a bunch with the diverter.
    Good luck,
    Chris

mevale
    Has somebody cut the 2 fins on the intake off? Budlight
    I still have the fins on my intake.
    This what the boat look like before the mods of pump and motor at CBBB
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...b040278_1_.jpg

mevale
    Could that boat be bow steering? In other words, the boat likes to "hunt" in different directions as the entry on the bow follows the changing contour of the water?
    If it IS bow steering, check the back of the hull for hook which may cause it to run wet and drive the bow of the boat down.
    If it's not bow steering and feels loose over certain water conditions, you may need to look into a turning fin (not a rudder). Additionally, when trying to turn a boat of that size, make sure you don't have it trimmed out a bunch with the diverter.
    Good luck,
    Chris
    That is exactly what it feels like! Jack did say I have a hook. Does a hook affect this much when it comes to steering? I thought it only affect speed?

Squirtin Thunder
    That is exactly what it feels like! Jack did say I have a hook. Does a hook affect this much when it comes to steering? I thought it only affect speed?
    Joe,
    A hook will affect every aspect of the handling. Now there are some ways to bandaid it for now. One is put some wedge to it. I would bet a 4* would be a bit drastic but would give you a starting point. Also you may just need to put some down wedge to it to creat more lift and a lower center of thrust. I have wedges here if you are coming out and want to try them.
    Jim

SmokinLowriderSS
    Seems to ba a lot of glass in the water at speed there, but it may be tough to try to carry the bow very high on a 21-footer. My 18-footer has no intake fins but tracks very straight flat out running quite bow-high. I do have a rudder on my Berk "F" pump but not much of it is in water with the roost up and at top speed. My suspicion would be bow-steer from the picture.

mevale
    How do I fix bow-steer? I have not talked to Jack at MPD yet but when he had the boat and pump he did some measuring and he did say I did not need any wedge. Is a wedge a tuning tool or just a Band-Aid?
    Joe
    Ps That pic is from last year at CBBB whit no modifications
    running 51 mph

Duane HTP
    A boat like that loves a long Snoot with a 4 degree up steering pin axis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast