Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to pull the motor

Rev. Williams
    Well this weekend started off with some bad news. I went to change the oil in the Daytona and this is what I found in the oil filter and in the pan....
    Kinda looks like I was panning for gold !!
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...21P1011846.JPG
    So now I need to pull the motor out and rebuild the bottom end before anything really bad happens.
    Now the question is, what do I put back in?
    I was getting 80mph with just a mild 454 with full roller top end and Edelbrock heads and EMI Thumper exhaust. Bravo 1 drive.
    Any suggestions on a nice bottom end would be appreciated.....

Speedin' Ian
    If you don't want to replace the block most people will tell you to stay with a stock stroke, because a larger stroke will add stress to the block. You should probably put forged crank and rods back in if you don't already have them, I have a a set of GM dimble rods, an LS7 crank and a nice four bolt main block with billet caps if you are interested. Also you can a nice eagle crank and rods for less than a thousand

JetBoatRich
    That sucks Jerry :hammerhea I know the feeling to well, as you know
    Still early enough to get it fixed and have fun before winter

Rev. Williams
    Thanks Ian.... I may look into what you have soon. I'm gonna pull it in the next few days to see just how bad things are and prepare my plan then.
    Hey Rich, I knew you could sympathize here.... This sucks!! Lets hope I can fix it ONCE and be good
    I should only be down for a few weeks, I hope !

Speedin' Ian
    Sounds good Rev., these things can snow ball pretty quickly. We pulled a blown 468 out of our dragboat just to freshen it up; it was pretty mild, iron heads, dual carbs, etc... Well one thing lead to another and now we are finishing up a blown injected 540, with Dart block, Brodix heads, and all the other go fast goodies . Good luck

djunkie
    Just a thought Rev. Don't forget about the drive if you start stepping it up on the motor. That Bravo one will be crying for sure with more power.

jackpunx
    Just a thought Rev. Don't forget about the drive if you start stepping it up on the motor. That Bravo one will be crying for sure with more power.
    ahh.. dont worry about the drive till you grow some nads and hit 700hp..

djunkie
    True. Or he can just have it taken apart after every trip and checked like that guy with the Stoker. J/K JP. Yours has def. been an exception to the rule

Rev. Williams
    I'll stay clear of the 700hp max, I like my nads just where they are ATTACHED!! I'm looking to just make it a realiable 550 or 600hp turn key (if there is such a thing)
    I'm thinking I can punch it out 60, get a new crank, rods, pistons and a bigger cam and make it an 11:1 easy breathing motor.
    But it all really depends on what I find when I open it up....

Rev. Williams
    Well the story is now in motion. I pulled the motor out Friday, built a shipping crate for it and it's now at Fed Ex ready to begin it's trip to Tulsa OK to Informaniacs shop. Fed Ex said it will only be 2 days but it was $459 bucks!!!! So it better be fast!!
    I took some nice shots of the building of the crate and will post soon.
    Info will be taking my 454 and creating a 496 with some nice parts inside making some nice HP Once I get the list of parts I will update the thread. This should take my Daytona to a whole new level. It was a high 70's to low 80's boat before with the tame 454 so I have high hopes for a mid to upper 90's ride after all is said and done. If I can get to 100 I'll be on cloud nine!!
    So now I'm doing the waiting game. It could take as long as 3 weeks (I'm hoping for 2) so I'm planning on rewiring a bunch of junk that was behind the motor will I have the room and doing some MAJOR cleaning of everything that was pulled off the motor. Turning a bearing sucks, but if I can get something good to come out of all this it will make it okay I guess.
    I'm going to ask Info if he can also get me some pics of the motor as it's being torn down and built back up so I can post those as well.
    So keep your fingers crossed that all goes well in the shipping and He receieves it soon
    Thanks Info for your help with this and I'll be talking to you soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast