Thread: How do you know when your jet is getting worn?

TIGGER
    I just got my boat running a couple weeks ago and was finally able to repeatedly use it over the weekend. The boat seems to get up and move around 4500-5000 RPM. I got on it the night before last and had it over 5000 for about 30-40 seconds. I looked back and had steam coming from under the engine cover. I let the motor go to idle and pulled the cover back and water was pouring out between the back of the engine and the pump. I imediately shut it down and ran the bilge pump. When I restarted the motor a couple minutes later everything was fine. I rode around for a couple hours yesterday and did not have any problems. I did not get on it as hard as I did the night before. Any idea's what caused it? Is my jet getting worn? I am running an olds 350 with Berkley Jet and a HTP pressure regulator.

Squirtin Thunder
    I just got my boat running a couple weeks ago and was finally able to repeatedly use it over the weekend. The boat seems to get up and move around 4500-5000 RPM. I got on it the night before last and had it over 5000 for about 30-40 seconds. I looked back and had steam coming from under the engine cover. I let the motor go to idle and pulled the cover back and water was pouring out between the back of the engine and the pump. I imediately shut it down and ran the bilge pump. When I restarted the motor a couple minutes later everything was fine. I rode around for a couple hours yesterday and did not have any problems. I did not get on it as hard as I did the night before. Any idea's what caused it? Is my jet getting worn? I am running an olds 350 with Berkley Jet and a HTP pressure regulator.
    A leak !!!
    I would check all your hoses for any blockage or build up.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, look for a leak somewhere in the cooling water system. I cannot think of anything that should leak like that and then stop. The only "wear-item leak" I can think of would be the packing seal arround the shaft. By my recollection of dad's Berk paperwork with our (my) boat it is properly tight if it seeps no water at low speeds or sitting but should pass a fine spray (small ammount) under the extra pressure of WOT flat out conditions (to cool the seal). It may leak some first time out of the year from drying over winter but should swell from water then. If THAT turns out to be your trouble, tighten the nuts on the packing assy EVENLY about 1/4 turn at a time to get the water under controll. If that is leaking too much, it could spray the back of the motor at full power and then seem to go away sitting.To check this needs some fairly smooth water and a seccond set of eyes while driver drives.

TIGGER
    I had most of the hoses off when I tore down the engine last month. They looked like they were getting a little old but I put them on anyway to get the boat out for the season. I will recheck my hoses and clamps before I take it out again. The boat has not been out for a couple years prior to last week. Even then it was taken out for a couple short jonts and put back on the trailer when the previous owner saw that water was getting into the crank case.
    Forgive the stupid question, I am new to this stuff.... but where are the bolts to the packing assy.

cave
    It's right in line with your H-bar or drive shaft. There are 2 bolts on each side of the drive shaft. Its behind you pumps front bearing. The retainer is a split type that allows you to remove it from the shaft to replace the shaft seals. The lt blue part is mounting bolt. There are actually 2. The green is the seal retainer & nuts
    The yellow & black path line is incorrect. I used it on another site. drawing is just for parts sake.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...shaft_seal.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
    That should have been "2 bolts, 1 each side of the shaft." I was confuzed a min till the pic loaded. haha