Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock 455 with Nitrous?

Lickety_Split
    I am wondering if anyone out here is running a mostly stock (stock internals) 455 olds with nitrious oxide? I know that the 455 olds has a problem with oiling at wide open throttle. But Nitrous is a cheap way to build power. I know that it is hard on the engine. I am not looking to run it much just every now and then. If anyone is running it how much of a boost are you running? I am just looking for more knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

Moneypitt
    Wow, I have a 455 in my hydro, and if you're gonna juice that jetboat olds you have more guts than ME. A basiclly stock internal Olds!! I'd be a little leary..........MP

jackpunx
    I am wondering if anyone out here is running a mostly stock (stock internals) 455 olds with nitrious oxide? I know that the 455 olds has a problem with oiling at wide open throttle. But Nitrous is a cheap way to build power. I know that it is hard on the engine. I am not looking to run it much just every now and then. If anyone is running it how much of a boost are you running? I am just looking for more knowledge on the subject. Thanks.
    go for it.. run a 250 shot.. blow it up after a few times.. and get a BBC

I wouldn't do it ... when I had an olds in our ski boat in the mid 90's, I put a 125 shot plate system on it ... had a lot of fun for about 2 weekends ... ended up bending a rod and cracking a piston. And that was only a 125 shot. The motor was a 455 mild build balanced with forged pistons, cam, intatke, 750 double pumper, oil restrictors, etc.
    Again, there are other ways to get horsepower the right way, or build the bottom end for nitrous.
    Just my .02
    Brian

That basically what I did ... but didn't need the whole 250 shot. :hammerhea
    Brian

Taylorman
    Im gonna do it soon. I just ditched my tunnel ram and got a new Victor single carb intake today. I plan on getting a NOS superpowershot kit. Im gonna jet it down to like 50 hp to start so i dont blow up anything. I have forged pistons in my engine. Just don't spin it over 5000. I plan is to put a bigger impeller in it to improve my holeshot and get the rpms down some and put a small nitrous kit just for occasional top end runs.

9er
    Yeah, what he said.

Im gonna do it soon. I just ditched my tunnel ram and got a new Victor single carb intake today. I plan on getting a NOS superpowershot kit. Im gonna jet it down to like 50 hp to start so i dont blow up anything. I have forged pistons in my engine. Just don't spin it over 5000. I plan is to put a bigger impeller in it to improve my holeshot and get the rpms down some and put a small nitrous kit just for occasional top end runs.
    That's the smart way Kevin ... don't you want to be part of the "holy crap I blew it up, but it was cool" club?

Lickety_Split
    Thanks for the input. I know I should build the bottom end for it. I just wondered if it could handle it. I don't have a lot of experience with the 455 so i figured i should ask. What modifications should i make to a 455 beside switching it to a bbc. will a intake and cam make a noticable difference?

Yes ... but then you get into lifters, pushrods & rocker arms. That will lead to head work (porting and flowing). Then you're back to square one, needing to build the bottom end.
    As I build motors for friends or myself, I have found that it's much cheaper in the long run to start with a good foundation (bottom end) and then slowly build the top end as your budget allows.
    If you start throwing an intake carb and cam at the thing, you'll end up not getting the desired results you're wanting (more power). You can build an olds to be very reliable and torqy (is that even a word ... torqy?)
    I would take the enine out, get some good rods and pistons for it, maybe a nice little cam set up, and start from there. Then you have a good starting place to add an intake/carb setup onto, nitrous, whatever you want.
    I know this isn't the quick and easy answer for you, but it's like building a house without making a proper foundation.
    Good Luck,
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast