Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 6x9's to buy?

cdog
    I am planning to add some 6x9's under the engine hatch so we can hear the highs on the outside of the boat. I currently have 2 12 w 6's and 3 sets of MB quartz marine 6.5's. I have plenty of bass and the system is real loud when in the boat but the highs need some help when your not in the boat.
    I have a older kenwood amp that has 400 watts and has it's own cooling fan built into it. It blew two fosgate 10's so I'd assume it would be good for 4 6x9's. What do you think audio guy's???

cdog
    No help? I'm lookin for some brand recomendations?

Beer-30
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/integrated/image/se8495.jpg
    Continuous Power Handling: 75W
    Music Power Handling: 220W
    Eclipse SE-8495s
    I just ordered 2 of them to start replacing the Sony Xplod's in Beer-30. Have one Xplod in the bow that is Xploded, so this pair will replace them. Gonna replace all 6 eventually.
    I have never had the Eclipse regular series like this. Have all Eclipse in my truck and love the clarity. Startin on the boat now.

BADASS38CHEVY
    I am planning to add some 6x9's under the engine hatch so we can hear the highs on the outside of the boat. I currently have 2 12 w 6's and 3 sets of MB quartz marine 6.5's. I have plenty of bass and the system is real loud when in the boat but the highs need some help when your not in the boat.
    I have a older kenwood amp that has 400 watts and has it's own cooling fan built into it. It blew two fosgate 10's so I'd assume it would be good for 4 6x9's. What do you think audio guy's???
    How do those w6s hit.Is the bass good outside the boat.

NOTALENT
    I just bought 4 of the phoenix gold 6x9's and I had 2 rockwood 6x9's (Knock Offs) that sound really good...The phoenix golds really impressed me...I amped the 4 to a pioneer amp. I was going to buy subs and all...but with these 6 6x9's it actually sounds pretty good...sounds like I have some good bass. It will do the job. I will work on some other parts for the boat before I get the subs.
    70w rms/140 peak
    http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/imag...ers/r69.0c.jpg

jbtrailerjim
    I just picked up my boat yesterday from having a similar set up done like you are thinking about doing. My boat was plenty loud inside the boat but I really had to crank it up when outside to hear the mids and highs. I used 6.5's under the hatch. There loud and sound crystal clear. My installer always recomends 6.5's over 6x9's because they sound cleaner. I'm running all Arc Audio in my boat. 4 sets of Arc marine 6.5's and 2 Arc 12's. I'm only running two amps. One XXK 2100 2 channel for the subs and 1 XXK 4050 4 channel for the 6.5's. I have the pair of 6.5's under the hatch and one of the sets of 6.5's near the mid cabin on a switch. When I want to listen to the set under the hatch I just flick the switch and it turns off the the lower set of 6.5's and turns on the other set. I like the set up and I didn't have to invest more money into another amp.

MOBrien
    I've got Polk Audio "Momo" series 6x9's mounted under my engine hatch in small enclosures. When we're on the beach I open the hatch and they are loud on the beach. They're on two channels of a 4ch JBL that's 80W rms per channel. They are pretty damn loud and were very inexpensive on EBay and included the x-overs....like $149/pair compared to $299 at Fry's.
    good luck.

riverbound
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/integrated/image/se8495.jpg
    Continuous Power Handling: 75W
    Music Power Handling: 220W
    Eclipse SE-8495s
    I just ordered 2 of them to start replacing the Sony Xplod's in Beer-30. Have one Xplod in the bow that is Xploded, so this pair will replace them. Gonna replace all 6 eventually.
    I have never had the Eclipse regular series like this. Have all Eclipse in my truck and love the clarity. Startin on the boat now.
    I agree with Beer30. I used the Eclipse stuff for years in the boats I built and for the money you can not get a better built better sounding speaker. I have them in my boat and they have been in there for 3 years now with no problems. Plus They have a 3year warranty and a 1 year over the counter exchange.

Beer-30
    Amen, Riverbound.
    I plan on replacing all 6 Xplods with these and adding 1 more pair. 8 Total.
    Then, pull out the Ultimate amp (4-channel) and run 2 Eclipse 5422s for all 8 (trying to keep the heat down).

Beer-30
    Oh, and by the way, what's your take on baffles like the XTC foam ones?
    Years ago, I had them on the back of a pair of Pioneer TS-6903s in the all-metal doors of a 1970 pickup. Had a 60 watt Linear to them. They really sounded good. Was thinking of putting them around all of the 6x9s for protection as well as cutting out some of the "free-air".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast