Thread: removing oil pump

Ian
    Well it's settled my dad and I are going to check the bearings, but I have a few questions first. First of all, is their anything I need to be careful about when I take the oil pump off? Will I need to replace any seals or do anything to the drive? When I put the windage tray back on what should I torque it down too? Any other tips you may have is appreciated.

RandyH
    Ian:
    Well it's settled my dad and I are going to check the bearings, but I have a few questions first. First of all, is their anything I need to be careful about when I take the oil pump off? Will I need to replace any seals or do anything to the drive? When I put the windage tray back on what should I torque it down too? Any other tips you may have is appreciated. Ian: I am certainly no expert but my new motor has nylock (SP?) nuts on the bottom of the windage tray with flat washers and I think when I put it back together I will do the same with new nuts. They all where tight after 35 hours of use. If I where to guess they came with the tray and pan from Dooley.
    A friend took my pump apart and after inspection used Locktight on the 4 screws to put it back together. I am still trying to find out what the torque spec. is on the main stud for the pump.
    You might also check your pickup connection at the pump. There is another good thread going on that topic right now under the gear heads forum.
    Good luck on your bearings.

Ian
    The torque spec we found said 65lbs for the oil pump bolt.

RandyH
    Thanks Ian, sounds good, i will use it.
    Randy