Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New WalMart Marine Battery....and its DEAD...

OliverM5
    Just picked up 2 Walmart group 24 Marine batteries...I installed them today and they were almost dead! I looked at the Battery and it said "Manufactured July 02".....is it bad to buy a battery that is so old? Is it ok to just charge it up and use it or am I wasting my time? Battery gurus please tell.....

Kindsvater Flat
    Seen it before. Take them back with receipt or exchange them for some fresh ones.

Flying Tiger
    Seen it before. Take them back with receipt or exchange them for some fresh ones.
    I agree.
    Though properly maintained marine batteries will last,,, I'd get rid of those.
    They're best stored fully charged.

Redneck
    I hear the sears batteries work very good (Marine ones of course)

charlyox
    I bought a marine battery at SAMS club. worked great but it wasn't outdated. take it back and get a fresh one and you should be fine

Wonderboy
    Definitely need fresh ones. After three years the lead oxide on the plates has probably formed too much sulfite and the battery probably won't hold a charge very well.

Flying Tiger
    Costco for this kid.
    Good return policy.
    You can always take them back no recipt,, and they will even auto-pro rate them too no recipt, and take them to any location.
    Golfcart batts there too.

PowellScooter
    Why waste time with walmart batteries :2purples: , get some Optimas and be done with it

Tom Brown
    ... get some Optimas and be done with it
    Optimas rock.
    You can get Optimas at Walmart.

2Driver
    Do yourself a favor and buy quality battery/s.
    While you are at it, do your country a favor and don't shop at Walmart if you can help it. :idea:
    Exide makes huge range of batteries and you may find out that the maker of the battery you are now considering was made by them anyway. If nothing else they have a good informative web site:
    http://www.exideworld.com/products/t...ecreation.html
    Believe it or not a mechanic turned me on to some Delco heavy duty batteries a while back and I ran them in my Carrera for many moons. I repurchased them after 3 years and got the same good service from them again. I toss Batteries after 2 - 3 years anyway. Who knows, exide may have made them too. They took the abuse.
    Also found that carrying one of those Small portable self contained battery units has come in handy on long weekends. You know the type with the built in jumper cables, DC plug, light. You get about 5+ jumps and it can run stuff too. It save my butt at the Parker 425 this year. It is also nice if someone asks you for a jump...you don't have to get your boat wrapped up in the processes of jumping a stranded boater.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast