Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Question

78Eliminator
    I have a Chevy 468 with dual 750s on a tunnel ram setup. My question is: where should I start my timing at? 15 deg BTDC? Please let me know. I have no friggin idea.
    Justin

HM
    Justin,
    depending on the curve, that could be right, but you usually go for what full advance is. For cars, full advance is usually 28. On boats, you can get away with A LOT more, up to 38 on pump gas depending on your compression. I would take it out to the lake/rive and play with it. If it predetonates (ping/knock) then turn it back a touch, and test again.
    I got a great low cost tip for timing here on the boards, that will give a more power on the bottom end. Lock out your advance - so you get no advance(there may be a screw already in the dist for doing this, or you may need to add one). Set the timing at 38. If your starter can't turn the motor over with this advance, run a cut-off swith on the power to the coil. With the switch off, turn the motor over and when it is turning at full speed, turn the switch back on and vroooooom. Again, test the advance for knocking and pinging, and dial it in. You can try some octane additive (prolong makes one that is about as good as they get).
    A more expensive route is to go with an MSD. You can get a start retard and knock retard built in, but you have to pay for it eek! . That was the route I took.
    I am sure you will get a lot more tips on timing.

gnarley
    Anywhere from 12 to 16 should be a good range to start but what's your total?

HM
    Justin,
    you are going to the CBBB? I will be there and we can play with it there and probably get a few other people to pitch in with some other tips.
    Frank

78Eliminator
    HolyMoly:
    Justin,
    you are going to the CBBB? I will be there and we can play with it there and probably get a few other people to pitch in with some other tips.
    FrankYep, I'll be there. Send me a pic of your boat so I know who the hell you are

78Eliminator
    78Eliminator:
    HolyMoly:
    Justin,
    FrankYep, I'll be there. Send me a pic of your boat so I know who the hell you are Never mind, I just saw it in your profile....

78Eliminator
    gnarley:
    Anywhere from 12 to 16 should be a good range to start but what's your total?What do you mean by "total"?

Jordy
    You shouldnt be running any vacuum advance, but what about mechanical? You know, the weights that are under the rotor in your distributor? Those control mechanical advance. On an MSD you can change out the springs to control how fast rpm wise the advance comes in. As you pick up RPM, the mechanical advance puts more timing in. Say you have 20 degrees of mechanical advance built into the distributor. You add that to the 16 degrees of initial timing that you have the distributor set at idle for 36 degrees of total advance.
    Jordy

HM
    jordanpaulk:
    You shouldnt be running any vacuum advance, but what about mechanical? You know, the weights that are under the rotor in your distributor? Those control mechanical advance. On an MSD you can change out the springs to control how fast rpm wise the advance comes in. As you pick up RPM, the mechanical advance puts more timing in. Say you have 20 degrees of mechanical advance built into the distributor. You add that to the 16 degrees of initial timing that you have the distributor set at idle for 36 degrees of total advance.
    Jordy This is where I started until I went fully locked out with no advance. I run at 40 locked out, but am running some very nice $$$ race fuel.
    I forgot to mention the amount of power you gain aby running locked out is PHENOMINAL! Ask anyone who runs locked out. The advance is really to allow the stock starter to turn over the motor and prevent pretonoation at low RPM in combo with WOT. Boats, becasue of the cooler running temperatures get away with a ton more in regards to timing. It is only a matter of time until some of the veteran tuners see this post a jump in with similar and better ways to run locked out.

gnarley
    78Eliminator:
    gnarley:
    Anywhere from 12 to 16 should be a good range to start but what's your total?What do you mean by "total"?Total refers to the initial timing or "lead timing" that is added to the amount of advance that the distributor allows to occur. So say in your case 15 degrees initial + 21 degrees advance = 36 degrees total timing. You can adjust both of these numbers to come up with the right curve & total for your own special needs or do as others suggested & just lock it down with an ignition on/off switch for cranking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast