Thread: Placement of oil temp sensor/sending unit

DeputyDawg
    After talking to several people about this and getting several different answers I thought I would ask you guys what you did in your boat. Some say to put the temp sensor on the outlet line of the cooler, and some say to put the sensor in the oil pan. Putting it in the pan makes the most sense to me being as that is where the pickup is going to be getting the oil from. I think I might just run two sensors, one in the pan and one on the outlet side of the cooler. Hell, I love gauges anyways. I might just mount the gauge for the cooler outlet somewhere on the engine where it is readable but out of the way so I don't have to cut another hole in the dash. What do y'all think?

I put mine in the oil pan since there was a bung in it for just that reason(Dooley 14qt)
    I might just mount the gauge for the cooler outlet somewhere on the engine where it is readable but out of the way so I don't have to cut another hole in the dash. What do y'all think?
    You could also wire the gauge to be switchable between the two senders. Use a single-pole double-throw switch. Center pole to gauge. One sender to each end pole. Mount the switch under the dash. No holes to drill. Easy enough.

Wouldn't that be twice the confusion?
    jer
    Or it could tell him just how effective his cooler really is.......
    From someone who has more gauges on his boat than the space shuttle, I'd think you would suggest more locations.

DeputyDawg
    OLDSQUIRT said..You could also wire the gauge to be switchable between the two senders. Use a single-pole double-throw switch. Center pole to gauge. One sender to each end pole. Mount the switch under the dash. No holes to drill. Easy enough.
    That my friend is a great idea, and I believe that is what I will do.
    LVjetboy said...Or you could just ask yourself, what temperature am I really interested in and where is it? At what level does oil temperature affect my oil's protective properties...synthetic or dyno? If you don't know the answer to that (which most of us don't) then do you really need two gauges?
    I am an information freak and I just like to know what is going on with as many things as possible concerning the big hunk of metal with plug wires in the back of my boat that I spent a small fortune buiulding. As knowing the properties of the oil I run, youare more than welcome to click here http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can read all about it's physical properties. I do not understand all of those numbers on the physical properties page, but it is something I am trying to learn because it has stirred my curiousity as of late and engine oil is something a lot of us should probably know more about but don't.
    click here http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx

Extreme case: V-drive world you typically see a big-ass tach on the dash...that's it. Not much to see or know there. I don't get it. Are other gauges so heavy they're an unacceptable compromise. Or just not cool? For that matter, why have a tach if other information about how an engine's running not important enough to measure. Is the dude with the big-ass tach gonna learn anything more than, "yup, that's how fast I spun it when all hell broke loose?"
    No, If the big tach is used properly, you'll know prop burn RPM (cavatation), load rpm & Rpm at the end of your run ... the same things a jetter would want to look at.
    As for me, I'm the worst offender. I have 3 guages ... the three that are important IMO. Voltage (that I don't really need, I know if my battery isn't charged ... the engine won't start), Boost, Oil Pressure. I have a playback Tach that I can't see while driving (mounted up in the gunnel). As far as the other data ... I have no need for it. That's why I have little to no gauges in my v-drive ... and why one should have a big ass tach.
    Just my .02

Yes I have a few gauges:
    RPM
    Speed
    Oil Pressure
    Oil Temperature
    Knock Sensor
    Water Pressure
    Water Temperature
    Fuel Pressure
    Fuel Level
    Voltage
    jer
    What................ no EGT Jer?
    My buddy (flattie driver) had a knock sensor on his blown BBC. It saved him from a complete meltdown last year. Still did some damage, but not as bad as it coulda been. If I remember correctly, it seems like it was valvetrain problems (roller lifter broke or some such thing........)
    His was one of those little light bar setups (5 or 6 segments). You'd think that all the vibration, noise, etc. would throw it off, but his seemed to work fine.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am installing a pyrometer in my boat. Cheap insurance, but then again I am running dry headers...............