Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gelcoat

Yeah, those brothers are hard to keep up with . Hackers new boat, the old 20 Southwind, is very nice. He's a happy camper.

flat broke
    Brent,
    Rich is right in the fact that the gell is litterally peeling off over the nonskid, and some of the red that was shot over the camel is coming up in dime to quarter sized chips, but no worries. I still think I got a good deal on the boat way back when and don't think that hull and I will be parting ways for many moons, regardless of whatever new projects I take on. I think the point Rich was trying to make was that WHOEVER you use for your gel, check out their work on some boats that have been around for a while. Don't worry, one of these days the 20 will be sportin some new skin, and the only one I'll have to blame if it doesn't come out right is myself
    Oldsquirt,
    Hacker's boat was the 19, defintely had issues, and that would be the epitome of why you want to look at a boat that was done by a prospective contractor in the past to see how long their work might last for you.
    Chris

InKahntrol
    It's hard for a young guy like me to add much to this coversation that hasn't already been said. However, it is DEFINATELY vital tht you do your homework and realize that with gelcoat you get what you pay for. A friend and I both started 20' Campbell projects at the same time. He went with the low-bid guys, I went with a more expensive shop that was filled with 33' Daytonas and other big $$ boats.
    My guy took a long time (six months) and cost more than he bid ($6,000) but the results are nothing short of stunning. My friend's boat looks like it was painted with a roller, and he's seriously considering grinding it all off and starting over from scratch. Go figure.
    I used Fiberglass Reformation in LHC, on Port Street just behind Campbell. They do bitchin work, but it was really hard on me living so far from where the boat was, because I couldn't just "swing by" and check up on progress. So, if you can find a shop near you that does great work, go for it. If not... give Steve or Jill Power a call and tell 'em Dan Kahn sent ya. (928) 855-0877

BrendellaJet
    dont try to do it yourself. Ask me how I know that... :220v:

sawtooth
    It's hard for a young guy like me to add much to this coversation that hasn't already been said. However, it is DEFINATELY vital tht you do your homework and realize that with gelcoat you get what you pay for. A friend and I both started 20' Campbell projects at the same time. He went with the low-bid guys, I went with a more expensive shop that was filled with 33' Daytonas and other big $$ boats.
    My guy took a long time (six months) and cost more than he bid ($6,000) but the results are nothing short of stunning. My friend's boat looks like it was painted with a roller, and he's seriously considering grinding it all off and starting over from scratch. Go figure.
    I used Fiberglass Reformation in LHC, on Port Street just behind Campbell. They do bitchin work, but it was really hard on me living so far from where the boat was, because I couldn't just "swing by" and check up on progress. So, if you can find a shop near you that does great work, go for it. If not... give Steve or Jill Power a call and tell 'em Dan Kahn sent ya. (928) 855-0877
    I used this same guy a couple of years ago to do the inside of an engine hatch, nice work but took longer than told and price almost doubled from quote. Just my $0.02 worth.

flat broke
    Just a point of clarification in regard to my Spectra 20. I was informed that the gel was not done by the guy up in the Valley that Rich was thinking of. That guy did the stringer work and balsa core work in the bilge and deck. That stuff is holdin up just fine and is one of the main reasons I'll probably never sell the hull.
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12