Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little feedback needed

newbie Mike
    I have a jet boat with a 460 Ford and about 1/2 days use the battery is drained enough that it wont turn over to start........and swim starting is out of the question. The alternator guage shows it charges the battery after starting. And it runs fine.........just wonder what to check first.......alternator or guage.......anyone know how many amps the alternator should put out.......other than an automatic bilge pump there is nothing that should require voltage when the ignition is off.......... I am also thinking of putting a dual battery set up in the boat, I have seen some battery switches for sale at Rex Marine, but am not 100% sure on how to connect them and if I did how the charging system would work for two batteries. Any comments would be appreciated
    Mike

On our lake boat, we always had a battery designated strictly for starting and another for accessories. Both charged when running.

GUGS102
    Two thoughts - One, possibly have a bad cell in the battery not allowing it to fully charge. When you replace the one you have, purchase a dry cell. Costco has them in Phx for $100 with a 3 year free replacement( bought one today)
    Second - As you go about the day the amount of energy for the starter to turn over increases. I.E. it takes more amps to crank - If the starter is wearing out it will increase its pull from the battery. You can take the boat to checker and have them run an amp test on the starter. you may have a starter that is on its way and you are right - swim starting sucks.
    Well okay maybe a third thought - make sure you have good ground connections on your electronic system and make sure your battery connections are good and clean. Either issue could be contributing.
    I'd also check the charge amount at the back of the alt and the battery with a volt meter, based on these test you should be able to narrow it down.
    Gugs

Danhercules
    I'd also check the charge amount at the back of the alt and the battery with a volt meter, based on these test you should be able to narrow it down.
    Gugs
    I think you said you have a amp gauge, this dose not show if the batt is charging, am I right? Just shows how much juce is in the battery. I think a volt gauge on your batt while running will tell you if its charging. Am I right on this to just typing out of my arse?
    I would look into the battery too. Is it full of water?

newbie Mike
    Oops am I bad ............the gauge is a volt meter and it shows charging after starting then tapers off............hmmmm
    The battery is new well 1 year old but used twice only

obnoxious001
    A volt meter shows battery voltage, not really showing charging. The fact that it starts at a given voltage(say 12) and drops as you run indicates the alternator is not working. The alternator should be putting out about 14 volts. If all your conections are good, clean and tight, pull the alternator and get it checked. Most parts stores can check your alternator for you.
    Oops am I bad ............the gauge is a volt meter and it shows charging after starting then tapers off............hmmmm
    The battery is new well 1 year old but used twice only

SmokinLowriderSS
    Obnoxious is correct. The volt gauge should read something over 13 volts, less than 15 volts. If not, bad alt (look for a circuit breaker first though in the wiring somewhere). If it IS showing arround 14 volts running but still not starting, look at a new battery. Check all your grounds ANYWAY. 12V connections to batt, alt, & starter/relay as well.

Sleek26
    Back in the olden days, "when we had points in the dist", we used to start a car and then pull the + Batt. cable off while the engine is running. If your alt. was not charging the engine would die, since you were running off the Batt. If the alt. was working your engine would keep running. I don't know if you can do that test today with the MSD and other electronic ignitions.

Devilman
    Quick question: What is "swim starting"?
    As far as the hard starting, a friend of mine had suggested an ignition cutout. They did it on some of their race cars. Get the motor spinning without the load & then throw the fire to it. Worked for them...

Danhercules
    Quick question: What is "swim starting"?
    In a jet boat, put the bucket in neutral, and push the boat while swimming up current, when you get some momentum, have some one slam it into forward. The motor should start, If you have high compresson, find steeper water. :messedup: :hammerhea :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast