Thread: Pump intake question

77OMEGA
    I just got a Berkeley JB-B pump for my boat. The intake has had the fins ( I guess that is what you would call them) that stick down from the bottom of the boat on either side of the intake ground off. My question is --- Should I, is it possible to, have new ones welded on, or will this cause handleing probs? I don't want to mount it in my boat only to find out that it has to be removed to fix it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

Duane HTP
    It really should be fixed. The fins give the boat stability in the corners and also keep the pump from sucking air.

Squirtin Thunder
    It really should be fixed. The fins give the boat stability in the corners and also keep the pump from sucking air.
    They also helps creat lift. In hard corners it blocks they water from entering the intake. The Tin Boat guys don't run them and turn very well.
    What kind of boat is it ???

77OMEGA
    It is a 1977 Omega Suncatcher 21 ft open bow fiberglass jet boat. I don't think I will want to do some of the spins I have seen. I'm not quite that brave LOL.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

bighead
    I have basically the same boat, 1987 Commander Omega and spinouts are fun!!! Just get it on a slow plane and start turning to the left and as the boat starts to lift up on the right feed it some throttle and turn fully and as you feel the mid point of the lifting strakes start to dig in on the front left HAMMER the throttle, it should do a nice spin for you and take a foot or so of water over the back, 10 or so gallons and if you do it right the bow will actually cut under a little as it is swapping ends, this is especially fun if someone is sitting in the rear jumpseats.

poncho-pwr
    How in the world do those little fins ad lift?? I'm not trying to be argumentitive or argue with a pump builder but I need an explaination on that one please.

JEThro
    Here's my oppinion on the intake fins-
    If you have a medium to deep-v boat with full length chines then the fins aren't that critical. On a shallow-v boat with or without full length chines, the fins help out a lot. Without the fins you have to fight the steering when going straight.
    I have an 18ft Aquacraft with a setback Jacuzzi WJ pump with no fins on the intake. It's a semideep-v with the 2 inside chines stopping about 5 feet from the intake and the outter chines going all the way back. The first time out with it it felt weird as it likes to slide out when turning. I got used to it pretty quick. Using the diverter and putting the bow down some helped a lot too.
    In regards to doing controlled spinouts, doing them with passengers in the jumpseats is just plane stupid. You never know what can happen when spinning. I did a spin once and hit anothers boats wake as soon as I got 180 around. I got tossed out over the passengers seat and into the water. If somebody was in the passengers seat I would of took there head off. It's scarey to think what would of happend if there were people in both jumpseats.