Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need Professional help !! :-)

miketsouth
    hey Mike, that's about rite, I can't remember right of of the top of my head ,but it seems that it was close to an inch, so your in the neighborhood,if you want me to make sure let me know?
    Markist
    I took the measurements off of the ID and length on the impeller and the bushing length while they was sitting on a shelf. Gonna do what you told me to do (what a great idea), i just wondered about where the bushing went, kind of figured it went inbetween the impeller and the inducer. I suppose i can figure out the rest of it, wear ring clearance and such. I have not had the impeller off to see what kind of wear ring i got.
    I dont expect much from it, as i got no HP to need it. On the other hand i might get me a cheep D impeller and use the inducer to see if i cannot get a little more HP/RPM. My bowl is external and i can change impellers almost 'on the fly' in case SuperSoaker beat me on top end
    and i think you got it for MARINEBOY...more dump will lower pressure. If he got 20psi at 3000 he probably got 70 at 5000. I run my SBC at about 25 at WOT, but they can take it, i suppose, and i like pressure, as i run 180 at WOT with the warm water we got now. My waterjackets like the pressure too, keeps them from boiling, same in the block.
    Kill the Bigblock

MarineBoy
    Hey Mike, it has been a long, long two years. Been working 90% of the time and the other 10% has been split between this boat and the new Garage I have going up to work on this boat :-). My bigest problem is that I have had no where to work on this thing and if I had a place, I dont have the tools, so I keep letting people work on it who know nothing and have damaged more than fixed.
    OK I will give a complete history, and by the way thanks to everyone for all this input, I am just so lost i feel like giving up, and thats not like me, and I will extend this offer to everyone and anyone on here, because I know what it is like to have a passion and not be able to enjoy it. My garage will done in about a month or so, 1000 of the 3000 sq' is just for boats all I need to do is take a little time to stock it with tools:-) So if anyone ever needs room as I did, i got ya covered. The other 2000 will be for poker in the off season
    OK, I got the boat 2 yrs ago, I ran it "one" day. It ran like a champ, the only problem was that a "Doo" kept up with me. I yanked it out of the water took it to a good friend who Races pro stock and of course we could make it do amazing speeds. well when I got it back, I had it in the water for ole 15 min and had the first round of water in the oil. There was so much head work done, I blew two holes into the water jackets and back in the shop it went. 3rd round when I first met Mike and he helped me get towed back in The intake went....more water.... come to find out thie nice new manifold my buddy got me a great deal on was warped. Had the whole top hat redone, my pretty new manifold took about another 600 to fix...and guess what.....this time out......more water.... Finally i got smart and figured auto mechanics dont know boats, and ford guys dont know Olds's, and engines arent all the same, and excuses are just that...at least thats what i want to believe so I dont loose a life long friendship over thousands of wasted dollars and a once good engine that now has so many bad pieces that I dont know where to start.
    I just find it hard to believe that this once beautiful working piece of machinery has had so many problems. I am not done with the story so I will be back on later to finish, I have to run.
    Thank you everyone, i have so much info in my head right now i confused, I also posted on dragboats.com and have had about 20 phone calls telling me thing to check i have never even heard of.
    Ill be back on later
    Thanks
    JD

MarineBoy
    OK, I am going to try to finish this time....
    Heres my info...
    I have injected bassett headers.
    NO tee valve, I have a Manual switch due to the overlap in my cam.
    Pressure valve on Manifold.
    5/8 in/out water line. 1/2 to headers.
    I dont have tool to do leakdown test, borrowed a compression tester and was at 190 across the board.
    I have ordered a bleed off valve to regulate psi from jet and thermostat kit with dual dump and am going to institute that after the next rebuild. I flushed the engine again last night and by the sound of it, im pretty sure I lost another bearing, so im starting from scratch again.
    I honestly think there are multiple problems. there is water in the valleys as though the head gaskets are shot, there is condensation as well, and my breather seem as if there is blow-by. the amount of water in the oil is great and after all this im thinking cracked head/block. They used copper haed gaskets, with copper receiver ring but now i hear thats a big nono in marine engines, I am pretty sure there is no silicone on the head bolts, and after another call from Ca. last night I think my heads were built wrong. Incredibly built for a pro stock machine, but just wont work for marine.
    At this point all i can do is start completely over again, and hope i can get this all figured out and find the right people to do the right work, so where are the machine shops that work on marine engines, i guess i need to start by getting everything Maged and my heads looke at.
    I just want to thank you all for all this, i should have started here in the first place, never to late to learn, garage is done in a month and I just hope to see you all on the water next summer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12