Thread: Rattle Rattle Rattle Whack

Mighty Thor
    That is the sound of my CVX summer comming to an end. We pulled the boat off the trailer, and while waiting for the dock to clear out so we could pick everyone up, my daughter and I decided to warm the boat up with a short cruise up the river. I rolled the throttle on and the engine spooled up then... that sound followed by dead silence. The 460 is locked up. on the plus side, everyone on the dock and shore turned to watch us take off, and there was no shortage of people who came to lend us a hand back to the ramp. Couple of people even commented on how awsome it sounded just before the end. Pulled the motor last night and will open it up tonight or tomarrow night for a look see. in the mean time I may be looking for a cheap LTD.

Sleek468
    This is my first season as a jetboater and I hear alot of stories of motors going.Is this a all the time thing with these boats?I hope not.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I been running a mild 2-bolt main 454 in my Taylor SS for 27 years. she's been as reliable as the passage of time & taxes. Occasional carb troubles from a lack of Sta-bil, recently lost fuel pump & coil from age (3 yrs ago). Been running 330HP stock, just rebuilt & modded lightly (cam, intake, headers next). SHe's running fabulously.

This is my first season as a jetboater and I hear alot of stories of motors going.Is this a all the time thing with these boats?I hope not.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune Thor.
    Up until three seasons ago, I ran the original mill in my boat 1976 stock BBF. It ran awesome and was an absolutely turnkey 62 mph boat. Start it, drive it, trailer it, repeat.
    I rebuilt it so I could go faster.
    Fortunately I haven't given up the turnkey part. Start it, drive it, trailer it, repeat. Oh yeah...........change the oil a couple times per season.

Mighty Thor
    This is my first season as well, but as many on this board know I didn't start with a running boat, I started with a basket case Glastron with a dubious history of repair. I have been sorting out someone elses screw ups ever since. And I love it! I am thrilled with the look of this old classic and I know with a good reliable mill that this boat will be a part of our family for years to come. I had started to build a second engine because I have been suspicious of this one since the first trouble but I also wanted to play so I ran it till it quit. I did have enough time to really get to appreciate the benefits of a Jet and also experience some of the quirks. (pulled what could have been a door mat off of my intake grill in the middle of the river, had to go swimming for that one) It seems to me that boats are no different than cars in terms of reliability. If you have a stock set up and maintain it it should last for years, if you start hot rodding things they start to wear and or fail faster. And if you buy a junker you get to work on it.

SmokinLowriderSS
    You get to work on it untill you get it turned into a well-tuned turnkey jewel.
    Then you start buying shoes, loaders, droops, snoots, rideplates, carbs, cams, forged parts, intake manifolds, blowers, tunnel rams, more impellers, etceterra, etceterra. "All I need is 100 more HP"

1978 Rogers
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune at the lake. Were you at Flathead?
    Mines a mild 460 ran great for 4 seasons, then had to clean the carb and ajust the fuel mixture.