Thread: Ford Casting Numbers...

Devilman
    These are the numbers off the 429:
    heads: D3VE A2A
    block: DI(1?)VE 6015A2B
    The number on the 460 block I was talkin about is questionable
    33MEM. That's all that was there behind the starter like L.O. was talking about. It was pretty much a blob, that was the best I could read on it...
    So, is my 429 all that, or is it just an old Thunderbird motor?

Blown 472
    33MEM. That's all that was there behind the starter like L.O. was talking about. It was pretty much a blob, that was the best I could read on it...
    Did you measure the stroke? or find the number on the crank??

Squirtin Thunder
    Unless those heads were replaced chances are it is a 460 !!!
    Most 429s had C8, C9, D0, D2 heads on them.

LakesOnly
    If that engine has never been apart, then it's likely a 1973 429. Compression ratio is dismal (might be as low as 7.6:1).
    The parts you list for the 429 are not necessarily unusable, as far as the individual components go, but as a motor combination it offers little performance. That motor is from the tail end of the passenger car 429 production run, and was made right smack dab in the middle of the gas crunch. It is not a 429 Thunderjet. Too bad.
    Even if you put flattop pistons in that engine, compression ratio will still be below 9:1.
    The D3VE-A2A heads were released for the 1973 model year and were used on both the 429's & 460's through 1985. The valve sizes are the same as the D0VE heads, and after porting, the intake port is damn near identical to the D0VE and flows on par with the D0VE castings. The exhaust port requires a different approach to porting but can be made to flow reasonably well for an iron headed motor.
    The primary differences between the D0VE head and the D3VE head is that the D0VE head has a 76cc combustion chamber and the D3VE's typically have a 96-97cc combustion chamber, so compression will be much lower. The only dome top pistons available are an older design by TRW that is on the heavy side. Combos can be put together that work, but for your budget build I would not mix the D3VE head with the 429 crankshaft. Go with the 460 stroke crank.
    Another difference between the two heads is that the D3VE head uses a different (stamped steel non-adjustable sled rocker. Personally I think it has it's advantages over the earlier (D0VE) casted stud rocker and would work fine in a mild performance rebuild, but the D0VE valve train has advantages of its own, in that regardless of which rocker you have, an upgrade is required for hi-perf situations and your already ahead of the game with the early style valve train, as far as upgrades go (D3VE head requires further modifications).
    In my opinion, the D3VE head is as low on the performance food chain as you can get with the producton heads, but just a few short years ago it was considered nothing more than a "smogger" head. Thanks to recent pioneering, that is now a myth and the D3VE head may support as much as 600HP in the right combo.
    Finally, as noted above, there were ten times more 460's with D3VE heads than there were 429's with D3VE heads, so you should really tear down both motors and see exactly what you have parts wise, as that D3VE-headed 429 may very well be a 460 in reality. The difference may be found in the cranksaft ID number, which is located on one of the crankshaft counterwieghts:
    460 Crank ID: 2Y. 2YA, 2YAB or 2YABC. (Or 3Y, but tell us if that is what you have!)
    429 Cranks: 4U, 4UA & 4UAB.
    A quick way to visually determine which crank(s) you have is by looking at the front counterwieght by the main journal/snout...the 460 is embossed by the cranks snout while the 429 crank is not.
    429 (not embossed):
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...9_vs_460_2.jpg
    460 (embossed):
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...0_vs_429_1.jpg
    The D1VE-6015-A2B block is a very fine block. I know people who have subjected those blocks to over 1000HP with nothing more than a splayed 4-bolt main cap conversion. (Hell, I know people running them in 2-bolt configurations fully blown.) All 2-bolt production 429/460 blocks are pretty much the same as far as structural integrity and horsepower handling capabilities. The D0VE-A block has some nice features that all the other blocks don't, but I don't personally believe its distinctive virtues are a must except for the most absolute, absolute extreme applications.
    So tear down both motors. It doesn't take very long at all, and you will have the luxury of hand picking the best component from two motors and making one really good one. I will be more than happy to offer advice and direction for building a greaat engine for you applicaton.
    LO

LakesOnly

Is it possible that "33MEM" is "C8VE-B" or ""C9VE-B?" Scrub away the grime.
    LO

Devilman
    Is it possible that "33MEM" is "C8VE-B" or ""C9VE-B?" Scrub away the grime.
    LO
    Thanks for all the info... Yeah, I didn't have a wire brush or anything to scrub on that casting, have to make another trip over there. Plans are to pull the 429 outta the boat Monday evening. Once it starts coming apart, I'll try & get some numbers, hopefully some pics... see what's what.