Thread: Flushing roller lifters

Wild Horses
    Long story short. I starved my mains and had to go 40 over with a couple of new main caps #2 and #3. When I originally pulled my motor down I had #7 exhaust lifter collapsed with no oil in it. (lifters are Comp Cams roller lifters) I replaced that set and tried to soak and then blow out remaining lifters with compressed air, I did not disassemble them. After running about 2 hrs another lifter has collapsed, #1 exhaust. Is there a good way to clean these out so that I don't keep having a repeat performance, or am I destined to buy a new set at about $800. :hammerhea
    Thanks
    Clint

steelcomp
    With as good a valve train as you can get these days, I don't see the advantage of hydraulic roller lifters. You can set a solid roller and forget it for the season in most cases. BUT...if you're comitted to hydraulics, I'd call Comp and ask them about this. I know in most cases, manufacturers will tell you not to pre fill hydraulic lifters, (soak in oil) but to let them fill on their own with engine oil pressure. It's easier for a lifter to pump up a little, than it is for it to bleed down, and risk tagging a piston with a valve untill it does so. That dosen't sound like your problem, though.

Infomaniac
    Clint - take the snap ring off and disassemble them to clean them out. Lifters are the best oil filter. If there is the tiniest particle in the oil the lifter will find it.
    If you must buy new ones for some reason I can give unbeatable deals on Comp products.

Wild Horses
    Thanks Info I will give that a try. With all that you have posted I trust your opinion. :wink:
    Thanks again.
    Clint

Blown 472
    Clint - take the snap ring off and disassemble them to clean them out. Lifters are the best oil filter. If there is the tiniest particle in the oil the lifter will find it.
    If you must buy new ones for some reason I can give unbeatable deals on Comp products.
    Even for roller lifters for a small block mopar??

Infomaniac
    Even for roller lifters for a small block mopar??
    If they are hydraulic