Thread: 77' Tahiti help

Run_em_Hard
    I am looking at a 22ft 77' Tahiti with a 200hp merc. The guy that currently owns it really doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it and I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to outboards. One of my questions is, he says it only does 50mph. That seems a little low to me for such a small boat. Does that sound correct? I don't know what prop or rpm he is runnin. Also what kind of upgrades are availiable for this motor? Thanks

Kim Hanson
    More info please ..does it have a jackplate? What size of a prop do you have on it?.........( . )( . )........... :notam:

Run_em_Hard
    No jackplate and I will give the guy a call tonight and see what prop he is runnin and see if he knows what RPM he is turning it at.

Kim Hanson
    No jackplate and I will give the guy a call tonight and see what prop he is runnin and see if he knows what RPM he is turning it at.
    Picture of the boat would be sweet also.......( . )( . )..........Isn't this type of boat a flat-bottom?............

Beer-30
    Memories. Grew up skiing behind one of those. Actually, a '79 open bow with 175 black max. 55 with 10 adults and 21P. 35 with 19P skiing prop. Used to love to leave the ski prop on and wax any jet out of the hole.

Tom Brown
    50 is a little low but not out of the range for a 200 hp outboard bolted to the transom of a 1000 lb boat. You could probably do quite a bit with it if you care to tinker with the setup.

Run_em_Hard
    Well thats what my question is, what is the likelyhood of this being..say..a 70MPH boat with a little bit of attention to the motor on a reasonable budget?

bilgewiper
    Isnt a 22' Tahiti more of a mini daycruiser style hull which is rather heavy for a 200 merc to push much past 50? I don't remember any "real" low profile hulls from Tahiti that were much longer than 18'. I guess we need "old rigger" here for some help.