Thread: Brand names, what are they worth?

mile2885
    Another question for you guys. I am placing an order with summit for rockers, push rods, and a head bolt kit. I noticed that the summit brand is almost exactly the same specs on the push rods and rockers I'm looking at as the comp cam items but are about $40 less. Are you just paying for the name or are the parts (comp cams brand) just that much better? Thanks

superdave013
    I like to save coin as much as the next guy but the valve train is not the place to do it. They might be the same but they might be some crappy Harland Sharp (or worse) deals re-badged for Summitt.
    I think if I did not know for sure then I'd pay the extra 40 just for piece of mind.

I've only had experience with the pushrods..... wound up ditching both the Summit AND Comp Cams and got Herbert. My valve train is happy now.

LakesOnly
    Consumers often opt to buy the least expensive item, believing that the cheapest deal must be the best deal/best value. More often than not, the cheap item does not perform near as well and/or fails prematurely. This necessitates the purchase of a replacement item of another brand that is truly up to the job and of superior quality...and higher priced, such as should have been purchased in the first place...but at this point, the consumer now has made two purchases and ultimately paid MORE out of his pocket (for both items) than he needed to pay in the beginning for the right part.
    LO
    P.s.: The less expensive components are not always necessarily the worse ones but chances are that the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. There are some exceptions, but...

mile2885
    Ya I agree but its hard to tell. For example, the push rod specs are identical. Same material, ect. I am a firm believer of buying the best the first time because I'm too poor to buy it again. But in this case, I'm not sure. :notam:

superdave013
    It's that not sure part that's scary hu?
    I've bent a push rod before and it didn't cause much damage. I got lucky I guess. Now the rocker that broke is a different story. A good old Harland Sharp (re-badged for Herbert) let go and the needle bearings got sucked into the oil pump.
    PM Infomaniac, He ownes a machine shop and might be able to get you that brand name you're after for a better price. Then again he might not but it's worth the ask anyway. He's a cool dude that's helped me out before.

Devilman
    Summit sold a Comp cam with Summit brand lifters cause they were out of the Comp lifters to a friend of mine a little while back. When the cam went flat a few miles down the road, Summit wouldn't back it up because it wasn't a Comp cam & lifter set. Might be something to keep in mind....

Ralph Brunt
    you get what u pay for buy cheap valve cover gaskets intstead just an opinion ralph

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    go comp .080 thick walled. theyre not that exspensive