Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motor troubles. 496Mag HO.

Biglue
    Hey guys, has anyone ever experieced the following with their 496HO/Bravo 1 set ups?
    Yesterday I was running my boat and it began acting up on me. As soon as I get anywhere near 3200RPM it goes into what I have been told as safety mode. It comes out of the hole just fine, it accelerates fine but once it powers the outdrive at those RPMs it does not continue. It will do 3200-4000 RPM in neutral no problem. All the gages were reading fine.
    It did it once in Havasu about a month ago. But it went away, I've run it twice since in local lakes and had no problems. Yesterday it came back hard and that was it.
    Any advise or info sharing will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys
    Louie.

THOR
    Big,
    call Mercury Racing. They should have some answers.

phebus
    Take it to a Mercury certified repair facility, and they can scan the motor, and tell you what codes are being thrown, and pinpoint the fault.
    When was the last time you changed your impeller? Wouldn't be a bad place to start if you are trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself.

Beer-30
    Phebus is right. I had a similar problem and found it to be a sensor. The scan tool pointed us right to it.
    If it is 2002 or newer, it has a water pressure sensor at the sea pump. If pressure it getting low, it will go into Guardian mode. Changed the impeller lately?

Biglue
    Take it to a Mercury certified repair facility, and they can scan the motor, and tell you what codes are being thrown, and pinpoint the fault.
    When was the last time you changed your impeller? Wouldn't be a bad place to start if you are trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself.
    The impeller was changed at the beginning of this season. The temp gage was reading fine and I got none of the audible alarms. The impeller actually went out on me and I'm real aware of what to look out for......borderline sketchy. It was a problem for a couple weeks. What had happened is that the intake hose coming from the outdrive was not wire re-inforced so the impeller was actually collapsing it starving the impeller hence the failure.

Beer-30
    It should be around $45 to scan it. Going into Guardian mode, it will set a code. If you have shut your batteries off, it will clear the code. Only have it scanned after you have ran it, entered Guardian mode, and not turned off your batts.

Biglue
    It should be around $45 to scan it. Going into Guardian mode, it will set a code. If you have shut your batteries off, it will clear the code. Only have it scanned after you have ran it, entered Guardian mode, and not turned off your batts.
    Crap, I'm pretty sure the batteries are shut off. And yes it is an 02 so maybe the pressure pump maybe a factor.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
    Mine is going in this week for the same shiat!! They think it is a sensor or the high pressure fuel filter has caca in it. Im curious to see what the computer sais. Stand-by till Tuesday afternoon

Beer-30
    Mine ended up being real simple - an unplugged sensor. Plugged it back in and it ran great. Mine had a constant "double-beep" ever minute. Then Guardian mode if I got around 4000. Mine doesn't have the sea pump sensor, which was first thought. All fluid levels were good. Was racking my brain, and finally took it to a Merc dealer and had them scan it. Bingo, exhaust water temp sensor code. Looked at the sensors and found the port side unplugged from the harness. I would have saved a lot of time if I had just had it scanned immediately.

phebus
    Did you change the impeller yourself, and if so, was there a lot of scoring of the pump body? Very common that the brass gets scored, and results in a decrese in pressure even with a new impeller. Also, when you replaced the old impeller, was it intact, or were there broken vanes? If there were any broken vanes, you need to back flush the system to relieve any obstructions to flow.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast