Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam and Piston help?

Fiat48
    eliminator777:
    I hate to add my 2cents worth But the cam you talk has to much lobe center for aa motor with carb. 106 or 108 at most go to chet herbert find the power range you want motor to work 2500to 6000 for a jet boat call them their in anaheim ca. they make the cams and their not that exp. Good advise. Also Call Clay Smith and I'd be very surprised to hear he'd want wider than 108. My 2 cents(before taxes).

beached 1
    I might have missed something, but I hope you are getting the valve springs and all to match the new cam. I would pick the piston first ie: 10 to 1/ 11 to 1 whatever. Then call the cam grinder and tell them what you have and what you want to achieve and have them send you the whole kit. Cam, lifters, springs, rockers etc.

flat broke
    Fiat is right on the money. Hack Job and myself both run CS cams and they are ground on 108LCs
    Beached hits a good point in the fact that you need to look at everything once you start making changes. What you should be striving for is a combination that is greater than the sum of its parts. I wouldn't worry about the cam specs you provided being overly aggressive for your springs, and quite frankly, I'm not so sure you'd be really happy with that cam setup. Typically speaking you want to run as much lift as you can get away with, then if you need more breathing, increase the duration. When looking at your pistion choices, make sure you take into account your valve to piston clearance. Raising the compression with a small dome is a good tactic, but make sure the valve reliefs are deep enough to let you run enough lift/duration to take advantage of the extra compression.
    As for the cam recomendation, I think it would be better suited to an AA impeller as it is pretty torquey down low, but doesn't offer anything at the higher RPMs where you'd want to spin an A to move the bacon. This would definitely be a cruiser setup, and not something that you're going to go out and spank on folks with. See what I mean...
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/lamedyno.JPG[/img]
    Not that DTD is super accurate, but the curve and trends will be the same with that cam profile.
    I'd do a little more research on the cam side of things, and definitely think about a free flowing exhaust solution as it will allow what you already have to run better, and wont hinder what you do in the future.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12