Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** Starter Troubles **** HELP !!

75_Elim
    I've now replaced everything on my motor but the Crank, Pistons and Con-Rods and it's now wanting to give me starter problems. The frikin starter sounds like crap (it's brand new) but it squells like a stuck pig when I turn the key. I've replaced the flex plate, shimed the starter and replaced the started bolts but it still sounds terrible when I turn the key and it won't really turn that fast. I will send a six pack of silvers to anyone that provides the fix to this problem!!
    Thanks
    75_Elim
    aka Jerry
    P.S Any questions, post up or call my office 800-975-4270 Ext 8174

rivercrazy
    Hey bud. Nice to see you on Saturday.
    Was it rebuilt or brand new. Does it have any problem engaging on the the flywheel?
    It might crank slower because you had a gear reduction model and this one's not. Are your electrical connections tight with no corrosion?

75_Elim
    Originally posted by rivercrazy:
    Hey bud. Nice to see you on Saturday.
    Was it rebuilt or brand new. Does it have any problem engaging on the the flywheel?
    It might crank slower because you had a gear reduction model and this one's not. Are your electrical connections tight with no corrosion?
    Hey RC !
    It was good seeing you again also. I still never got a ride in you water rocket ! Next time.
    How would I know if a gear reduction is need or was used? ( I already trashed the old one ) This is a rebuilt one from PAW which should be good, but I'm just wondering if I should return it and spend the big cash on an Accel High Torque or even a Hamburger starter. I was told that mine is a little odd because of the bolt pattern. Could that have something to do with it? BTW is on a passenger type 454 with maybe 10.1 compression now. I'd really like to get my boat wet this year and this is the only thing holding me back now. Please Help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Jerry
    aka 75 Elim

rivercrazy
    Rocket - Hardly!
    To be honest, I really don't know. The higher compression will definately make a difference though. You might be getting the squeeling from an improperly lined up starter. But again, I'm not personally sure. Keep shouting for help!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by 75_Elim:
    Hey RC !
    It was good seeing you again also. I still never got a ride in you water rocket ! Next time.
    How would I know if a gear reduction is need or was used? ( I already trashed the old one ) This is a rebuilt one from PAW which should be good, but I'm just wondering if I should return it and spend the big cash on an Accel High Torque or even a Hamburger starter. I was told that mine is a little odd because of the bolt pattern. Could that have something to do with it? BTW is on a passenger type 454 with maybe 10.1 compression now. I'd really like to get my boat wet this year and this is the only thing holding me back now. Please Help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Jerry
    aka 75 Elim

502procharger
    just a thought. pull your plugs and see if the starter makes the same noises and slow rotation with no commpression. If not then it must not have the balls to turn over your 10 to 1 com. engine. just a thought.

75_Elim
    I just went to pull the starter off again and the head of one of the bolts was sheared off !!! So now I'm pulling the motor out again http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif This motor is going to kill me.
    Jerry

69 Elim
    I am guessing the squeeling sound is from the starter not correctly shimmed. my brother had the same problem - trial and error on the shimming till it went away.

gnarley
    Hey guys do you use the front starter mount??? If not it can cause the starter to flex as it is only hanging from the rear threads. Also do you know the difference between the HI-torque & standard starters just by looking at them? Do you have the factory high torque starter? Your starter should have a threaded stud on the top of the starter holding the end cover on, it is your choice to use it or not, if not & you have lots of compression you may break the bolts or nose-cone. Also did you put the right tooth count flywheel back on? There is also a difference in tooth count on some flex plates and starters & when they are mismatched they make a lot a noise.

77charger
    Originally posted by 69 Elim:
    I am guessing the squeeling sound is from the starter not correctly shimmed. my brother had the same problem - trial and error on the shimming till it went away.
    same thing here
    is it a bbc?

75_Elim
    Originally posted by gnarley:
    Hey guys do you use the front starter mount??? If not it can cause the starter to flex as it is only hanging from the rear threads. Also do you know the difference between the HI-torque & standard starters just by looking at them? Do you have the factory high torque starter? Your starter should have a threaded stud on the top of the starter holding the end cover on, it is your choice to use it or not, if not & you have lots of compression you may break the bolts or nose-cone. Also did you put the right tooth count flywheel back on? There is also a difference in tooth count on some flex plates and starters & when they are mismatched they make a lot a noise.
    I'll have to look at that end bolt to see if it's what you're talking about. As for the flywheell, that's fine, the old one and this B&M on are identical.
    Thanks for the help !!
    Jerry
    aka 75 Elim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast