Thread: Thermostats?

1973 Hondo
    Does anyone run a stat and why or why not, advantages and disadvantages? Thanks

miller19j
    I run one. Why because it was in my boat when I bought it. I have not had any problems yet. My boat runs ant a pretty constant temp within 20 degrees weather I am flat out or idling around. But I run in lakes so I do not have the sand issue that the river guys have.

Liberator TJ1984
    I don't ...water temps 70/80s in summer here...that's a good question you got here

1973 Hondo
    The reason i asked is i called DOns pumps today and he said not to run a stat or a water valve??? any one want to tell me whyu he said to run it that way?

MikeF
    Chet might be able to answer that one for you wink .
    Since the engine is under load, It makes alot of heat. The more heat you have in the combustion chamber is good for combustion, but, if you have too much heat and lose control of it (too much heat) you can run into detonation problems (want to avoid that).
    It is better to just take away the excess heat while you are creating it (load). This can help keep the oil temp from possibly rising too high too.

HM
    What MikeF said and that the water temp is not an accurate measure of the actual running temp of the boat.
    I started running an oil temp this year. The sender is in the oil pan. Before this, my water temp gauge never got above 170 in the summer and did not get a reading in winter. I also have gauges in the heads now too. When I am hitting the giggle peddle hard, I can get my oil temp up to 230. The head gauges never read above 190. I don't have a thermostat (mine is a v-drive - but I think the principle still applies).