Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetboat guy Needing help with V-Drive

DeputyDawg
    Okay guys, I am a jetboat guy trying to help a buddy(recently converted v-driver) with his new to him sanger. When he bought the boat he was told buy the previous owner that it was going to be needing a new prop shaft and a good looking over. Well, yesterday we started taking stuff apart and they were f*cking nickles between the prop shaft and the other shaft it butts up to(sorry but I don't know what the other shaft is called) WTF is that all about??? I have seen some shade tree shit in my days but that just didn't look right. As far as the pro shaft deal goes, can I just have a machinist make a new one going off of the old shaft or should I order a new shaft from a v-drive place? Also, how can I tell if the whirl-away is in good shape and is it serviable? What else should we be looking at on this deal? Oh yeah, it's a Casale box.

INEEDAV
    Okay guys, I am a jetboat guy trying to help a buddy(recently converted v-driver) with his new to him sanger. When he bought the boat he was told buy the previous owner that it was going to be needing a new prop shaft and a good looking over. Well, yesterday we started taking stuff apart and they were f*cking nickles between the prop shaft and the other shaft it butts up to(sorry but I don't know what the other shaft is called) WTF is that all about??? I have seen some shade tree shit in my days but that just didn't look right. As far as the pro shaft deal goes, can I just have a machinist make a new one going off of the old shaft or should I order a new shaft from a v-drive place? Also, how can I tell if the whirl-away is in good shape and is it serviable? What else should we be looking at on this deal? Oh yeah, it's a Casale box.
    I use quarters personally, but their normal, used to move the prop back to help control the attitude of the boat.

superdave013
    The $0.05 is normal. It's in there to fine tune the prop placement. Pretty much they use nickles because they clear the key and people just happen to have some at the race track.
    With that said you don't want the prop more then 3/4" ~ 1" from the back of the strut.
    You need to get a prop shaft and not just have something turned down. There are a lot of material choices so school yourself up before ya drop the big coin in an A22 if you don't need it.

The nickles are used to tune the attitude of the boat. It is a fairly common deal. Whether not is is hoopty depends on the number of nickles & the length of the keyway on the coupler. Being there were nickles you will wan't to look at the spacing from the strut to the prop. 3/8" is pretty much the most you should have.
    Definatly get the prop. shaft from a marine deal. Menkins V-Drive, V-drive Tom on the bourds. Tom is also the man to check out the v-drive & whirlaway.

Damn I type slow :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:

DeputyDawg
    The prop was 5/8" from the back of the strut. The prop shaft itself is 1 1/8" in diameter that we have now, but it is bent .015".

superdave013
    that's a big prop shaft. what kind of boat is it in and how much power will it see?

The prop was 5/8" from the back of the strut. The prop shaft itself is 1 1/8" in diameter that we have now, but it is bent .015".
    5/8 is too far. Causes the shaft to set up harmonic vibrations and break off right at the strut barrel. I recommend just enough for the puller web (ususally about 1/4"). Now that may not be where the boat works best but that's another issue (wrong strut location / wrong strut barrel length). You shouldn't get carried away with the nickles to the point the prop is too far from the strut to run safely. Just my unsolicited .015
    Bent .015 over what length?

ColeTR2
    f*cking nickles between the prop shaft and the other shaft it butts up to WTF is that all about???
    LMAO - This is funny!! I would think the same thing if I had never been around V-drives!
    Should I order a new shaft from a v-drive place?
    Get a new one!

olbiezer
    gee i ought check mine for some spare change......could be a gold mine lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast