Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: External Steering question.

djunkie
    You are already going fast enough for external steering, single ram for now, but dual ram is really the best for safety. higher speeds and looks. The IMCO style where the rams attach to ears mounted on the standoff box would prevent any more holes from being drilled in your transom and shouldn't interfer with existing swim platform and exhust.
    Is there any other way of doing it without a standoff box? Do they make a different transom adapter with the ears on it?

Havasu Hangin'
    Is there any other way of doing it without a standoff box? Do they make a different transom adapter with the ears on it?
    Yes- it would mount right where your trim rams and/or exhaust tips are. :notam:
    The rams have to mount on the same plane as the pivot point on the outdrive (so your steering doesn't change as you trim the boat). Look at the pivot point...and draw a horizontal line.
    Also, it looks like the ram would hit your swimstep when you trailer the drive...

djunkie
    Yes- it would mount right where your trim rams and/or exhaust tips are. :notam:
    Also, it looks like the ram would hit your swimstep when you trailer the drive...
    Ya I noticed that. So unless I want to float the dough for an extension box, I'm pretty much screwed. Oh well. Maybe I should just buy a new boat.

burtandnancy
    Now thats the right attitude, help the economy, buy a new boat, and don't spare the goodies. Specify everything, money is no object when it comes to boating. Get out there and buy, buy, buy. You've got friends here, we can help with all the details, we will all be glad to help you spend your money. Don't worry about it, we'll make sure you get the best of everything. Some of us could even meet you at your favorite builder to make sure you get every option and more. Cubic inches equals cubic dollars and you've got plenty of those. More horsepower, more gas. It doesn't get any better than this

djunkie
    Now thats the right attitude, help the economy, buy a new boat, and don't spare the goodies. Specify everything, money is no object when it comes to boating. Get out there and buy, buy, buy. You've got friends here, we can help with all the details, we will all be glad to help you spend your money. Don't worry about it, we'll make sure you get the best of everything. Some of us could even meet you at your favorite builder to make sure you get every option and more. Cubic inches equals cubic dollars and you've got plenty of those. More horsepower, more gas. It doesn't get any better than this
    UHHH. I was kidding.

Jrocket
    UHHH. I was kidding.
    Your such a tease.

blackcloud75
    IMCO extreme advantage gimble @ www.imcomarine.com
    may be an option??????

spectras only
    Would get one if I were you .Here's what happened on saturday. Hitting a F...n deadhead [ below water's surface :lightsabe ]. If I didn't have a tiebar & external steering the rest of the leg would have ended up on the bottom.
    I was going exactly 40mph on the GPS .Arneson drives would have faired better then these weak MC's .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202

burtandnancy
    The boot looks intact. Did you have any water get in? Many times when you loose the whole thing, you create a serious water leak, somewhat bigger than your bilge pump can handle. Obviously, you saved the boat (this time).
    BTW, did you know that in some countries it is illegal to use a boat with only one engine? I've been there.

djunkie
    IMCO extreme advantage gimble @ www.imcomarine.com
    may be an option??????
    Any idea what one of those cost? That might actually work. I'll have to get the measurements of it but it look like a possibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast