Thread: HI and starter question

Konabud
    Hey everybody!!!
    After a lot of years of hard core offshore fishing up here in WA I went and bought a play boat. It's a '78 21' Kona Daycruiser with a Harman Marine 460 / Berk 12JE drive in it (1st jet boat).I'm already working on it (ITS A BOAT OK!!!) It doesn't want to start every time I turn the key (I've searched the threads on this and am working on it). The alternator used to be mounted with the adjuster down, tried to adjust it once and decided it needed to be upright so I turned it around with the help of an $11.00 triple chromed plated adjuster bracket from shucks. The alternator now makes noise which I think is a result of turning it over and loading the bearings in the opposite direction. I'll need a new alternator, does it matter if it's a one or three wire as long as it's wired correctly? (ItÂ’s a three wire now). It has a top mount starter hole (starters in the bottom position) and after basically flooding the bilge once already I'm thinking that a top mounted starter might not be a bad idea (along with an additional AUTOMATIC bilge pump). I called Harman but they can't (or wont) give me a part number I can cross reference to get one. Does anyone know what starter I need??? It seems to be a two bolt pattern on a 3.5 inch spread. This one kind of looks like their picture but I thought someone might know right off the top of their head. I know it needs to be reverse rotation!
    http://www.go2marine.com/g2m/action/...marine.htmlAll
    That said, it's a fun boat and we're looking foward to boating with some of you guys!!
    Thanks,
    Creg

stashtrey
    I'm not the best person to offer any advice but I just recently went through some issues just like you are. I have a 460 with a JE Berk pump. My starter went bad, alternator was bad etc.
    The top mount can be found at www.cpperformance.com for around $250/300.
    I replaced the alternator with a marine 2-wire model for about a hundred bucks. My bilge doesn't take much water so I stuck with a bottom mount gear reduction starter, hundred bucks. Works great.
    I feel your pain. Good luck.
    There are a lot of great guys in this particular forum and you'll definitely get the answers and help you need.