Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prices are climbing, Fuel prices are starting to trickle elsewhere

Kilrtoy
    Just got back from the supermarket.
    nothing was on sale, NOTHING...
    Produce was very expensive and the most obvious, but everything had a noticable price increase.
    I like hersheys candy bars.
    Normally 1.69 as of last week, today 2.19
    12 pack of soda not on sale 4 dollars, normally 3 dollars not on sale.
    the gas is starting to effect everything

djunkie
    I drove by a Cheveron by my house earlier today and noticed that regular unleaded was 2.89. I thought that was cheap compared to what I've seen elsewhere. To bad there diesel was 3.45. Guess i'll have to start going back to the truck stops for fuel.

azgfboatgirl
    Guess milk will go up again too. :yuk:
    Out of unleaded gas at corner store. :220v:
    What's next!
    I decided not to go to work, to expensive. :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
    Just don't shop at Ralphs. :hammer2:

Havasu Hangin'
    How come,HH?
    Rio
    They have ratcheted up margins over the past 90 days, under pressure from Kroger.
    Also, they determined that it costs too much labor to "change tags", so they are running less reduced prices than before. Brilliant.
    The reduced prices they do run are not as aggressive, since they start at a higher price, and reflect less than the other retailers given the same deal level.
    While Albertsons and Vons have run loss-leaders (selling some core items at a loss) to get consumers back in the stores after the labor dispute, Ralphs has closed stores, and focused more on profit and less on volume.
    Staters is still the low price leader.

HCS
    Cosco.
    I can get 18 packs of Coors for 7.99 quite a few places.

Havasu Hangin'
    Cosco.
    I can get 18 packs of Coors for 7.99 quite a few places.
    Yest Costco will usually be cheaper, since they only take around a 11% margin (Ralphs for example has to have a 40% blended margin, and routinely runs items over 50%GP).
    Club stores ask for "special packs" from food manufacturers, so the consumer cannot compare apples to apples. This means you have to do some math to look at the "per unit" price- it's not always a better deal, depending on the item.
    If they get the special pack from the manufacturer cheaper, then the retail price will be cheaper.
    Target also has decent pricing.

Havasu Hangin'
    Albertsons just announced that it is putting itself up for sale ( depending upon the upcoming bod meeting). It's actually been for sale for a while. Until the gov't or an A bomb reigns in F*ckmart, grocery chains in general are a lose-lose proposition.
    Rio
    I don't know if you saw it, but there was an article awhile back about the "most overpaid CEOs". Albertsons CEO was included- he was paid something like $75MM and the stock price has been declining.
    Speculation is that the FTC may not allow Safeway or Kroger to buy them (they really don't have much cash anyway), but perhaps a foreign grocery chain will buy them.
    Hopefully, Jack Brown will buy up some more stores, like he did when they had to divest some Lucky stores when they bought them.

HCS
    Yest Costco will usually be cheaper, since they only take around a 11% margin (Ralphs for example has to have a 40% blended margin, and routinely runs items over 50%GP).
    Club stores ask for "special packs" from food manufacturers, so the consumer cannot compare apples to apples. This means you have to do some math to look at the "per unit" price- it's not always a better deal, depending on the item.
    If they get the special pack from the manufacturer cheaper, then the retail price will be cheaper.
    Target also has decent pricing.
    Blows me away. I was shopping at Safeway picking up few things for breakfest.
    I was looking at their Canadian bacon slices to put on my english muffins. A pack of 6 slices of bacon was 5 bucks. My wife went to Cosco and picked up a pack of about 20 slices for 4 bucks. I couldn't tell the difference in the product beside I'm sure it was from a different pig, probably an american one.

ECeptor
    I haven't been to the grocery store in a couple days, will be going tomorrow.
    But, gas did go down 10 cents today - at $3.07.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast