Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling 058

WATERROCKET
    It's been a while ago we talked about getting a little more hp out of my stock 460. If I remember right, you sugested, dove-c heads,K&N arrester,and roller rockers. What ratio were the rockers 1.73? If I recall I think you said this should put me a little over 400hp.Thanks

Blown 472
    Ford rockers are 1.73.

Refresh my memory, [thats the second thing ya loose when you get old, I forget what the first thing is] You have a stock 460, what hull is this in? Jet or I.O.? The D0VE-C heads will up the compresson over the D2 or D3 heads you prob. have. Before the heads are installed have the exhaust ports cleaned out of all the strange lumps and bumps and then have a good 3 angle valve job done. This is worth 15-20 hp alone. The D0VE-C heads can increase the c/r up to 1.5 points depending on the deck height of your block. Early blocks are 10.300" and late blocks are 10.320" Roller rockers will not increase your hp much but will assure a truer 1.73 ratio [most stamped rockers are not a true 1.73] and less friction meaning slightly more hp. What carb and manifold are you running now?

WATERROCKET
    O58, It is a 245Limited cuddy weighs about 3700 dry,King cobra drive, 600 holley, CJ intake. I was told by someone that omc used only cj intakes.

Blown 472
    Ford put them on all their marine engines.

The 600 Holley is prob. too small as 460s like flow. Depending on you maximum rpm I think you would do well to increase to at least a 750 or even a 850 CFM Holley. Another area you might want to look at is upgrading the ignition and recurving the advance if it hasn't been done already. Adjust curve to 36 deg total at app. 3000 rpm with the initial advance as much as the engine will stand and still be able to start, in other words 16 to 20 deg initial but not enought to prevent the engine from cranking when hot but NOT to exceed the total advance of 36 deg. Personally I run 20 deg initial on 2 different engines, one is a 8.4 to 1 c/r twin turbo 466" BBF and the other is a 12.5 to 1 carbed 514" BBF, both engines respond well to that initial setting. All this is assuming you run at least 92 oct. fuel.

spectras only
    WR , the 460 OMC King Cobra 340 HP package came with the SCJ cast iron intake.The 600 holley is too small for starters.I would use min 750 and up to 850 vac secondary holley for your engine.If money is no object, you could change your heads with 429 screw in stud heads and use comp cam's 1.8 ratio S/S roller rocker arms .Or have a machine shop to alter your 460 pedestal type head to use screw in studs with guide plates.Here's a 460 I've used 429 heads on
    [ April 03, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

LakesOnly
    WATERROCKET:
    ....I was told by someone that omc used only cj intakes.... Can one of you guys please reply with the casting number of the factory Cobra Jet intake? I might have access to several of those manifolds; want to be sure they're the right ones.
    LO

Lakesonly, I don't have the casting no. handy but the typical iron CJ manifold has a spreadbore carb pad as all CJ engines had Quadrajets. The casting no. would start with a D0** as it wasn't available until 1970. Spectras only, I thought all SCJ intakes were aluminum?

spectras only
    058 , I thought the same .Mondello had an article [I'm going to check it tonight]on the ford parker enduro spectra , and that article had mentioned about cast iron SCJ intake.If I remember right ,it was an almost stock engine fine tuned by Erickson Ford of ca .The SCJ cast iron intake has huge runners and much taller compared to the 429 manifolds I've seen ,hence the mismatch with A2A heads [according to the article it was actually beneficial ] creating some turbulence on the flow .There are two of these manifolds for sale here in the papers for 200 CDN ea.It was almost ten years ago ,when the local ford dealerships ran out of these because OMC bought them for their marinized engines and depleted the stocks.I'll call my friend who bought my 20 spectra,maybe he won't mind [he's got the boat all covered up for the winter months] to check the numbers on the manifold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast