Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flywheel vs flexplate

jshirley78
    is there any reason you cant use a flexplate and in place of a flywheel??? Since the jet bolts straight to the crank through it and your only using it for the starter....Right?

Heatseeker
    It works for me. If you are already equipped with a flywheel, the change may affect you coupler spacing.
    Other than that, buy an SFI approved unit and you shouldn't have any problems.

RCB19
    Most of the time jet boats are set up with the flexplate. The only time that I have seen a flywheel used was when the motor is making some serious ponies.

Most of the time jet boats are set up with the flexplate. The only time that I have seen a flywheel used was when the motor is making some serious ponies.
    Correctomundo! Flex plate works fine ... unless you're blown with HP ...

Moneypitt
    Yes, flexplates work just fine, less mass weight for quick revs. Only for starting anyway. Unless you're running a Mopar, their starter rings are on the converter, so a flywheel must be used. I have always used the stock GM flexplates without any issues, ever....MP

jshirley78
    Thanks all for confirming what I was thinking

Wicked Performance Boats
    Just use a approved one their thicker and wobble less than a stock one with no converter attached. Budlight

bakerjet
    yep yep, running a flexplate also.

MAXIMUS
    I have been running the heavy duty flex plate on a blown 540 in a jet boat & will be switching to an aluminum fly wheel here real soon. I seem to be distorting them pretty badly & causing starter problems in the process... :hammerhea

RedRocket
    yup, go with an aftermarket one, I had the weight fly of my small block stock one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast