Thread: Timing question

jbone
    I am trying to check/set timing on my 502 carburated. I think I'm supposed to jump a connection somewhere, but not sure exactly where.
    There is an empty electrical inlet on the dist. is this where I jump it?
    I think the manufacturer says 10 deg before tdc. Is this what I should stick with??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    J

ColeTR2
    Most timing lights have three wires a positive and native that go on the battery. Then the third just lightly clamps on the number one spark plug wire. On a big block Chevy the number one wire looking at the front of the motor is on your right front. And I would keep it at 10 degrees. There is a bolt at the base of the distributor that holds a clam loosen it just enough too barely rotate the distributor. Make a mark with a black pen from the base of distributor to the intake manifold so you know where you started. And only turn distributor a hair. Have you turned the distributor? Why are you timing it? You really should have someone that knows what they doing help you with this.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...04/738502a.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...04/738502b.jpg

Moneypitt
    If your boat has a computer control, there is a 2 wire plug that has to be disconected to get an accurate, computer out if the picture, timing setting. After initial setting, reconnect the plug and your computer will regain control of the timing.........MP

Mighty Thor
    If your boat has a computer control, there is a 2 wire plug that has to be disconected to get an accurate, computer out if the picture, timing setting. After initial setting, reconnect the plug and your computer will regain control of the timing.........MP
    Computer controlled Carburator? Did I miss something. What or how does the computer work on an engine like this. I assume that there is no exhaust monitoring due to water situation, is it a spark only computer?