Thread: powdercoating truck headers

wrenchdaddy
    Ok this is for a '72 chevy truck not a boat sorry, ok so can I powdercoat a set of truck headers or am I wasting my time and money? I know they get hot cuz they are in a truck, i don;t want to spend the money on ceramic, will powdercoating last?

Beer-30
    Ok this is for a '72 chevy truck not a boat sorry, ok so can I powdercoat a set of truck headers or am I wasting my time and money? I know they get hot cuz they are in a truck, i don;t want to spend the money on ceramic, will powdercoating last?
    Unless something has come out lately, powdercoating will not work on headers. I had a set done in the early 90's and they cracked and peeled. Lasted about as long as paint.
    Jet hot is the only way to go. Awesome stuff.

NOTALENT
    nope..it will burn through the paint/powdercoat...best bet is to get the polished headers.

sanger rat

STV_Keith
    Powdercoating is a sand or dust-like powder that is baked on to surfaces at around 450*. If you part gets hotter than that, the powder will re-liquify and come off. You need to do a ceramic coating if you want it to last.

RACER52
    jet hot coating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and pay the extra for the good finish.
    My race car headers look fine after years of racing in the dirt.

tahitijet
    yup ceremacoat for the best long look.. chrome if you can deal with the blue and brown color, polished stainless if you can afford it, Hi temp motor paint follow the instrutions to a T will last a little while but eventually will turn white (frosty). Powder coat will beging to lift at about 350-375 it's typically baked on at arond 400-450.
    If you haven't bought a set of headers yet the upcharge for cerma coat is much cheaper then buying them and doing it on your own

tahitijet
    this might be what racer52 was refering to as the "good finish" It's the polished alumn look they offer. I don't recall that it cost me any extra but it definatly looks better then the standard foggy coating.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...010043-med.JPG