Thread: Whipple Vs. Bravo 1

VegasHallett
    I just recently purchased a 1999 270 hallett with a 502efi/Whipple. I already installed the biggest O.D. pulley for the whipple, so the super charger boost would be decreased. However, my question is how much boost can the outdrive handle out of the hole. The original owner has stated 600+hp comes from the motor and I realize thats working the outdrive hard. The outdrive was sent to the Bravo shop for oversize bearing and was serviced 3 years ago.
    My wife wants to go wakeboarding/sking and I feel uncomfortable hitting the thottle hard even with a 22 four blade pitch prop and putting 5 pounds a boost out of the hole. What can the Bravo 1 handle?????

Trouble Maker
    I used a standard Bravo behind 800hp with a 28 pitch prop and it lasted for 100hours...the next one I used lasted about 7 hours.
    Just try not to abuse it...it may last longer than you think. But, don't let this be the reason your not wakeboarding or skiing...that's being a little to careful..
    Good Luck.

Whipped Caliber
    My old boat had a whipple with 675HP with a Bravo 1 with just a cap and it had 90 hour on it before I sold it. My new one THAT"S A NEW STORY!! not a lot that will hold up to 1,021HP and live long!!!

burtandnancy
    Its not going to handle 5 psi out of the hole for long

jackpunx
    Its more about the weight and efficiency of your boat.. I run almost 1200HP on a bravo.. so far its been good for about 150hrs.. I service it religiously.. I saw the sign of a warn gear and replaced it before it broke..
    easy in and easy out..
    GT built the unit for me.. but .. its still a bravo..
    my boat is very efficient and not near as heavy as yours..
    the thing that I do know is.. the less prop pitch you have.. the less stress you put on your drive even though your getting a better/quicker hole shot..
    Not sure if I explained that right..but the bottom line is that torque is what is going to kill that drive..not HP.. the higher pitched props put more torque on the motor and drive.
    seems like the only thing you can do is.. drive it till it breaks and rebuild it with either beefed up XR parts.. or with a max machine worx drive..
    good luck and have fun

Beer-30
    Just roll into the throttle, and don't bang it forward.
    I pop up wakeboarders quite easily with my stock HO / B-1 and 24" prop - in a 30' boat. You wouldn't even need the supercharger, per se, to pull skiers, so just take it real easy on the throttle. Find the minimum throttle position to pop up your peoples and just don't pin it forward out of the hole.

nodigg
    I just recently purchased a 1999 270 hallett with a 502efi/Whipple. I already installed the biggest O.D. pulley for the whipple, so the super charger boost would be decreased. However, my question is how much boost can the outdrive handle out of the hole. The original owner has stated 600+hp comes from the motor and I realize thats working the outdrive hard. The outdrive was sent to the Bravo shop for oversize bearing and was serviced 3 years ago.
    My wife wants to go wakeboarding/sking and I feel uncomfortable hitting the thottle hard even with a 22 four blade pitch prop and putting 5 pounds a boost out of the hole. What can the Bravo 1 handle?????
    I ran my 99 502/2300f Whippled motor for about 400 hours before I lost the whipple due to a heat problem. The Bravo one is STILL on the boat, was just torn down and inspected and No sign of wear was detected. All stock! This year I ran the rebuilt 502, now 540 with the same out drive! NO DAMMAGE! We wakeboard constantly and this summer when doing so we ran a 5 blade labbed Maximus.
    I think it is simply a matter of how you handle your power.

nodigg
    Oh yeah, and we also had more than one trip where we had 14-16 peeps on board with the same outdrive and prop!

Havasu47
    Just roll into the throttle, and don't bang it forward.
    I pop up wakeboarders quite easily with my stock HO / B-1 and 24" prop - in a 30' boat. You wouldn't even need the supercharger, per se, to pull skiers, so just take it real easy on the throttle. Find the minimum throttle position to pop up your peoples and just don't pin it forward out of the hole.
    This is good advise. We have built many engines for the 270 Hallett. Some with 900 hp. All have Bravo 1's, just blueprinted with no after market parts on these particular drives. It will last fine if you are nice to it. Also, you wont see 5 lbs boost out of the hole anyway.