Thread: Twins on a Phantom 25

ToffenG
    Hi!
    I have at last got hold of 2 x Merc 2.5 EFI (300 hp each) engines for my Phantom 25. It has been a long long journey to get it together.
    The engines can be delivered with alien style cowlings or standard race cowlings. The standard cowlings are more narrow, and allow the engines to be mounted closer.
    If I am correct, the closest you can get the engines with alien cowlings is 23 inches senterline to senterline. Does anyone know how close you can get engines using old style cowlings? 19 or 20 inches?
    Mounting the engines closer will give lower gravity and better bowlift. It will also make it easier to mount the engines using external hydraulic steering such as Mayfair / Latham, etc.
    Estimated top speed will be approx. 95 mph.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheeers, Toffen G

full throttle
    Let's see pics. What did you do for a bracket?

ToffenG
    Hi!
    We are building the bracket now of high grade aircraft aluminium, and I will post pictures of it (and the motors) when we are starting rigging it.
    Cheeers! Toffen G

DCBob
    Hi!
    We are building the bracket now of high grade aircraft aluminium, and I will post pictures of it (and the motors) when we are starting rigging it.
    Cheeers! Toffen G
    Good Luck!! Those 2.5's are great motors

ToffenG
    Hi!
    Thanks!
    Do you know how much fuel Merc 2.5 EFI use at 4.000 rpms?
    I am trying to figure out how much I have to allocate to fuel next year. One gallon costs 8 USD in Norway....
    Cheeers, Toffen G

DCBob
    Hi!
    Thanks!
    Do you know how much fuel Merc 2.5 EFI use at 4.000 rpms?
    I am trying to figure out how much I have to allocate to fuel next year. One gallon costs 8 USD in Norway....
    Cheeers, Toffen G
    Hi TG, I usually burn about 10 usg per hr (5 +/- per motor) @ 3000 to 6-8 gph per motor @ 4000 rpms. You will probably use more as you are pushing more boat than I am. @ 8.00 per usg :2purples: holy chit man you better get a night job :hammerhea J/K. Where did you have to get your 2.5s shipped from?

ToffenG
    Hi!
    Thanks.
    My boats weight with 2 x 2.5 EFI will be approx. 2.900 pounds / 1.300 kilos. How heavy is your boat?
    With one PM 300 SVS the boat runs very effective at cruise speed. At 4.000 rpms the boat runs 51 mph with a A45 Tempest 25. Torquemaster lower unit and 1:1.75 gear. So the slip is very low at cruise. I sincerely hope this translate into twin 2.5 EFI.
    The engine will be delivered from MaxMotor in Norway, and the engines will be rebuild by Michael Werner from Germany (several times former world camp F1 and engine builder).
    Cheeers, Toffen G

DCBob
    Hi!
    Thanks.
    My boats weight with 2 x 2.5 EFI will be approx. 2.900 pounds / 1.300 kilos. How heavy is your boat?
    With one PM 300 SVS the boat runs very effective at cruise speed. At 4.000 rpms the boat runs 51 mph with a A45 Tempest 25. Torquemaster lower unit and 1:1.75 gear. So the slip is very low at cruise. I sincerely hope this translate into twin 2.5 EFI.
    The engine will be delivered from MaxMotor in Norway, and the engines will be rebuild by Michael Werner from Germany (several times former world camp F1 and engine builder).
    Cheeers, Toffen G
    You know, I'm not sure of the exact weight, I'll see if I can find that out for you. It's a 22' DCB modified tunnel made in Southern California. I'm very happy w/the performance of the stock 280 hp 2.5's. It sounds like you've got the right guys working on your motors.
    Talk to you later
    Bob