Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Sequoia

DJ Sound Technique
    Anyone else towing with a Sequoia? Like it, love it, hate it?
    We just bought one and have made 2 trips to Havi pulling our 21' with no problems at all, actually pulls better than our 99' Expedition with the 5.4 and I am sure that we won't be puttin a tranny in this one at 55k like the Expedition!
    I do need to put air bags on the back, the tongue weight is a bit too much and making it sag a bit, I do miss the auto leveling system on the Expedition and did not get it on the Sequoia.
    Gas mileage is pretty rough though, around 10 mpg towing, that should get better with the cat back exhaust and K & N cold air intake coming soon not to mention pushing it around the 300hp mark!

ROZ
    Like you, my cousin had no problems whatsoever towing their 23 ft boat with their Sequoia. They ran 22" wheels and had air bagged the back.

Kiddunot
    I have a 4 door Tundra and i pull a 24ft Chapparel. I have no problems as well, however i needed to air bag the back as well. The K&n airfilters does help alot as well. However my truck is louder than crap when towing up ill. Sounds like a v10..............If I remember correctly the sequioa and tundra have the same engine. Just wait they will come out with a bigger engine in the next couple of years.

rivercrazy
    I'm towing a 25 Shockwave with my 2005 Tundra. Its tows great. Mileage is 10-12 mpg (about the same as other competing gas motors).
    I'd pass on the cat back exhaust and the intake. Toyota designed those components pretty well from the factory. You will gain a little high RPM HP with those mods but will loose some valuable low end torque. Not great for towing.
    The only mod I've heard that gained low end torque on these motors is JBA headers and replace just the muffler with a Gibson. Leave the stock exhaust tubing diameter stock so you don't loose torque.
    Good luck with your new rig. I think you will love it. I had a 2000 Tundra I put 150K hard miles on with lots of heavy towing. It never missed a beat and was 100% reliable. Didn't even burn oil. The tranny was bullet proof as well.

dr. margarita
    Just used my brand new Sequoia to tow my Howard 25 Bullet and loved it. From a power stand point it towed equal to the 5.4 liter Yukon. I flat out passed a Hummer pulling a smaller boat up a grade. From a wheel base standpoint, I barely felt the boat behind me. The Yukon had a tugging sensation due to the short wheel base. The Sequoia blows out the GM product from a fit, finish and comfort basis. Very nice vehicle!

DJ Sound Technique
    I do agree, ours blows away our expedition and fit and finish is top notch.

Not So Fast
    2000 Tundra 4.7 V-8, 80,000 mi. I pull the Magic with it but we live in Havasu so it's only to the ramp. We go to CatTail once in a while and gotta admit I dont think I would try a long distance tow with it. struggles on the grades pretty bad. Dont get me wrong, I love my truck but the 4.7 is too small for a boat this big (weighed the whole rig at Acoma Van Lines because I was arguing with MVD about the weight) it came in at 7300lbs and change which surprised me.
    Another thing is be careful of intakes, I installed one from Rod Millen when I first got my truck (it did run a lot harder) but I had all kinds of problems with Knocking, especially towing in the heat of summer, my son actually lost 4 pistons with his intake. Toyota took care of it though but suggested going with the stock air box! If you do run an intake then you will have to run premium and thats a lot of dough. Good Luck, PM with questions :chi: NSF

DJ Sound Technique
    I don't think I would want to tow a much bigger boat than my 21'.
    At least for now

Not So Fast
    I don't think I would want to tow a much bigger boat than my 21'.
    At least for now
    You should be good to go at that size I even get it out of the water at the ramp pretty well and it's only 1 whl drive (no posi), secret is tongue weight Peace NSF

UltraLucky
    My wife has the air bags and posi on her Sequoia and I was impressed with how well it pulled are 21' boat 270mi in 100 degree weather. Just kept it at a resonable speed the whole way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast