Thread: Boating in Dallas Area Lakes

In2Deep
    So, what's the weekend performance boating scene like at Lake Lewisville, Sam Rayburn...others? Are these lakes too small, and really better for fishing rather than hanging out?
    Just wondering, since I'm thinking I might head that way next season.
    I2D

Sweet Addiction
    So, what's the weekend performance boating scene like at Lake Lewisville, Sam Rayburn...others? Are these lakes too small, and really better for fishing rather than hanging out?
    Just wondering, since I'm thinking I might head that way next season.
    I2D
    From what I hear Lewisville is off the hook on most summer weekends. Not sure about this year but in years past it has been the deadliest lake in Texas. Lots of high performance in a small area. If your going to come this far from California you might as well come to Lake of Travis. 65 miles long and its plenty big to run WOT. If you want to keep it up north try Possum Kingdom Lake. Never been but have heard some awsome stories about it.
    Jared.

rrrr
    From what I hear Lewisville is off the hook on most summer weekends. Not sure about this year but in years past it has been the deadliest lake in Texas. Lots of high performance in a small area. If your going to come this far from California you might as well come to Lake of Travis. 65 miles long and its plenty big to run WOT. If you want to keep it up north try Possum Kingdom Lake. Never been but have heard some awsome stories about it.
    Jared.
    Umm, Lake Travis has won the prize for the last few years as the most dangerous lake in Texas.
    There are several lakes in the DFW area. Hubbard, Lewisville, Joe Pool, Ray Roberts, Lavon, and Texoma. Texoma is freekin' huge, it straddles the border between OK and TX.
    If you want to see and be seen, Lewisville is the place to go. I don't go there because of all the big money/empty head boat owners. It's really scary.
    We boat on Lake Lavon because it's close to home (20 minutes) and relatively empty. The lake covers 20,000 acres.
    If you want more info let me know. I can help you decide what lake is best for your boating preferences.

Moneypitt
    Subject: Texas Trivia
    Nobody asked for them, but here are some little known Texas facts:
    Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles
    Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles
    El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
    World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.
    The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.
    The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for Rice University in Houston.
    Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.
    Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.
    Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
    The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
    The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston.."
    King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.
    Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.
    Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)
    A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
    Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
    Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper.
    Texas has had six capital cities:.
    1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
    2. Harrisburg
    3. Galveston
    4. Velasco
    5. West Columbia
    6. Austin
    The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).
    The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends.
    Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.
    The State animal is the Armadillo. (An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg which splits Into four and they either have four males or four females. (Well... I thought it was interesting anyway!)
    The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.
    THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - TEXAS STYLE
    People here in Texas have trouble with all those shalls and shall nots in the Ten Commandments. Folks here just aren't used to talking in those terms. So, some folks out in west Texas got together and translated the "King James" version into "King Ranch" version: Ten Commandments, cowboy style. Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Fairlie, Texas.
    (1) Just one God.
    (2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
    (3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
    (4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
    (5) Put nothin' before God.
    (6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
    (7) No killin'.
    (8) Watch yer mouth.
    (9) Don't take what ain't yers.
    (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff.
    That's kinda plain 'n simple don't ya think?
    Y'all have A NICE Day NOW, Ya Hear?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    May God litter your life with blessings!

DeputyDawg
    If you enjoy things like Russian Roulette go to Lake Lewisville. If you want to go to a beautiful lake with awesome scenery(women and natural beauty) and the coolest hang out place ever(Hell's Gate) then go to Possum Kingdom. Lake Travis is beautiful too. If you want to see lots and lots of big scarry fast poker run style boats as well as some all out offshore hotrods you need to go to Lake Texoma.