Thread: oil pan 460

Ralph Brunt
    i'm looking to get an oil pan and would like to know what you 460 guys are using? i was looking on the milodon site the one they have is 10 quarts windage tray but no trap doors is this kind ok or should i keep on looking? i'm getting reay to build a 501 just orderd my stuff from ad performance its all scat stuff been talking to a fellow board member i'll leave his name out of this unless he wants to be known. any way the crank is a 4.14 6.800 h-beam rods 0.30 c1ve block je pistons d3ve heads solid roller cam size not known yet. torker man i got from hack job (thanx tyson) msd ign. 800 cfm holly d/p any way enough of that any help with the pan is appreciated oh-yeah its going in a 19' hawaiian with a jacuzzi yj ralph

spectratoad
    :idea: I think mine is a Dooley???? Been a couple years since I had the motor out.

Jake W2
    Canton Racing ,I had one that had 2 trap doors and built in windage tray.It was a nice pan.Comes with the pick up tube.You will need to use the Melling M84DHV oil pump.
    Jake

dmontzsta
    With your jetboat you probably do not have to worry about clearance like a flatbottom.
    I would use a Canton, Milodon or you can go with Dooley. Check ebay, I have seen a few on there for cheap.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Are you guys with Fords running rear-sump pans or front sump pans? A buddy of mine bought a project Omega that had a thrown-rod 460 in it. His budget prevents him from installing a Chevy but the 460 had a front-sump pan. I am concerned that it may have been part of a starvation problem that ate up bearings till a rod threw. Lotsa particles up in the valley pan thrown there before the rod let go (bearing parts including backshell)

Ralph Brunt
    mine came with a front sump so i just ran it knowing i was going to build another motor. sure enough last trip out started knocking so with the knew motor i'm going to a rear sump hence the first post. ralph

LakesOnly
    My jet boat motor has a Milodon and I've had no problems...but I've heard stories.
    I find it odd that the front of the Milodon pan is so much deeper than the rear...way more than I imagine the motor being tilted back to compensate for the difference in depth F to R.
    I like my 10-quart Milodon but might opt for the Dooley given the option.
    Also, as far as rear loading pumps go, I have specially prepped M84DHV high flow oil pumps available if you end up needing one.
    LO

LakesOnly
    Here is an interesting thing that I discovered last time I took the lower end apart of the 460. I discovered that the windage tray in my Milodon pan had fractures in it where the louvers were stamped into the sheetmetal:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ndage_Tray.jpg
    Please bear in mind that this part ran sucessfully in the motor for ten years before this failure was discovered. Further, Milodon replaced it, even after identifying it as a ten year old design that they'd changed. I like Milodon as a company and the jet boat motor has been made up almost entirely of their parts (timing chain, valves, pushrods, pan, rod bolts at one time, etc.).
    I suspect that the sheetmetal was fatigued in the area where the louvers were stamped, so when I got the new windage tray, I drilled out the potential spot (the ends of each louver) where the fracturing began in the original tray:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...dage_tray2.jpg
    The fracturing could have been also caused (at least in part) by the incredible forces that are taking place inside the crankscase of a running engine. The windage is so strong that the oil can wrap around the cranksahft in a "roping" effect, causing parasitic drag...not to mention pulling the oil away from the pickup. At 5000 rpm's, a good windage tray that separates the oil from crankasee windage may be good for, say, 20HP (depending on build, rpm, etc.).
    Anyway, thought you may want to see the Milodon pan up close. There's one tiny baffle up front for decelleration...but I just thing the pan has too much of a lowered front end in a jet boat that is on decelleration.
    Finally, although it should be no problem for any 4.14" stoker, make sure that the pan you choose can accomodate the increased stroke of your lower end (windage tray clearance of the increased stroke).
    LO

Ralph Brunt
    ah-hel1 lakes you know i'm gunna go to you when it is time for the oil pump. thanks for the pics of the pan i will call milodon about the clearance issue if it will clear that's the pan for me thanks again ralph my stuff should be in on tuesday waiting for the pistons from je

SmokinLowriderSS
    That's a weird one Lakes. I'd initially suspected it was from flexing of the lower end at high revs (I expected a tray mounted on the main caps) but then you showed the pan & it was mounted there. Yea, I'm sure there is some downright scarry effects inside a high-power and/or high RPM engine at those times of hard effort. The pressures & forces needed to generate 400 HP & up as well as the effects of nearly a hundred revolutions every seccond are seldom thought of as long as parts stay in 1 piece INSIDE the engine.