Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Sucks

bob briley
    just put new reeds in ,cleaned the fuel inj,took out the inj filters , put it all back together,started it up and now 1 is not firing, spark is good ,comp is good. pulled the plug,creamy white fuel/water i think on the plug.now i hope a head gasket, fun fun fun

Tom Brown
    Did you have the head off when you did the other work?

bob briley
    no

bob briley
    BUT,,,,,,the trip befor,i had a cold cyl,,,the same one,changed the coil,same prob.might of started then .topend was hit and miss 6000rpm to 5500.thats why i started looking ,found the broken reed , and cloged inj filters ,might be all one big prob

bob briley
    H E L P ??????????????????????????????

hoffman
    sounds like you might be loseing a swithch box. Is your motor and efi or carb?

Tom Brown
    If you think it's the switchbox, you can swap the front and back boxes and see if the dead cylinder moves.

bob briley
    had water in top cyl,looks like a bad gasket for the exhaust plate, all the bolts were hand tight,must have let water spray in.all started after changing the impeller, what do u all think about taking out the thermostat center .less back pressure more water flow ,water temp is low at all RPM's

Tom Brown
    What does low mean? My understanding is that you don't need a lot of heat in a nicasil block.
    Head bolts need to be re-torqued a couple of times after installing the heads. You can torque them to 30 lbs and after 3 minutes of running, they will need re-torquing again. My understanding is they should be done at 0, 5, and 30 minutes of run time. That's not the Mercury spec, that's just what I understand from listening to some people I trust.
    My head bolts were hand tight after installing a set of heads too. I had to torque them a couple of times.
    Does anyone know the Mercury spec for head bolt tightening?

bob briley
    its 30lp for head bolts,and 16.5 for exhaust.it was the exhaust bolts that were hand tight.i got the boat 4 yrs ago and never touched any bolts
    tell now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast