Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hondo Runnerbottom Question....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I get a call from a friend tonight to go check out his new boat....
    It seems this was Big Proppas runnerbottom project and he sold it to mouzer who sold it to my buddy "The Wiz".
    I have a Hondo circle boat and the back of my strut (strut base) is roughly 20 inches from the transom. That is with a 9 degree strut. Wiz's new boat has the strut I'm guessin 3 or 4 inches further back The old v-drive mounts look to have the v-drive around the 96" mark and the hole in the floor looks right for the v-drive position.
    If you crawl under the boat there is a recess cut in the floor that looks original and a hump in the floor looking from the inside. It looks like it came that way.
    It seems to me that the strut is farther back than it should be. I hope I'm wrong. Anybody know where it should be to line up with a 10 degree v-drive at 96"?
    Also, this boat looks like it only had 6 turnbuckles? Anyone ever seen that in a runner?
    Thanks,
    ---Jerry
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870bow.JPG
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...0XH%20511T.jpg

superdave013
    I just looked at a pic of my old hondo runner. It had 8 turbuckles and 4 trasom bearings. It should have had 5 transom bearings as the shaft bent between the 2 center bearings.
    I can't help with the strut location as those notes are stashed away in who knows where land. lol
    Here's a link so you can see my old hondos ass.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/show...t=1&thecat=500

EXTREMEBOATS
    I'm sure if you spoke with Bobby Hewitt he could give you the answers you need. He was very much in the know back in the day when it comes to that stuff.
    602-463-1895.
    Kristina

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I'm sure if you spoke with Bobby Hewitt he could give you the answers you need. He was very much in the know back in the day when it comes to that stuff.
    602-463-1895.
    Kristina
    Thanks, I gave him a call he was very helpful
    ---Jerry

Carnivalride
    Jerry,
    For what its worth on my 78 Hondo runner bottom the end of the strut barrel is 17" off the transom. My favorite prop is 12" (back tip of blade) to the transom, my plates are 9" past the transom. Strut angle is between 7.5 & 8 degrees.
    My cavitation hardware (http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.p...o&photoid=1185)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Jerry,
    For what its worth on my 78 Hondo runner bottom the end of the strut barrel is 17" off the transom. My favorite prop is 12" (back tip of blade) to the transom, my plates are 9" past the transom. Strut angle is between 7.5 & 8 degrees.
    My cavitation hardware (http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.p...o&photoid=1185)
    Hey, thanks a lot!

EXTREMEBOATS
    If you guys didnt know , the the XH-511-T was the begining of the runner bottoms we have today.... Each individual or company tried to make a hull as fast as Hondo had. Its kinda crazy but even today the similarities are so hard to recognize. Hondo boats was the true leader in the day thanks to Ray Casselli, a true pioneer ,Bobby Hewitt Sr. and Jim Lange Among others... that helped develope the still bad to the bone boats that still hold many records today. We are proud to help carry on the legends hard work and determination by providing the same hulls today from original molds. No sales pitch just a love of this life style. :hammerhea
    Mike & KRISTINA

Carnivalride
    Hey, thanks a lot!
    Anytime, hope you guys get it worked out & going soon.
    Loren

bigkatboat
    Isn't "XH 511 T" the deck and not the bottom? If you went to the races back then, you would know that Ray displayed his hardware with Finish Line Hardware in the same place/ booth. All of his cavitation (transom) hardware was Finish Line, way before he ran Hondos. Also, ("among others") without taking anything away from Hewitt and Lange, you have forgotten Mike Brendell, Irv Brendell, Wayne Mettler, Jamie did some work too. I think you could have purchased a "XH 511T" in; circle (flat with chines) hull, 5/8" runner, and 7/8" runner, am I wrong? "Just cann't remember back that long ago". Built many of them, "a great boat".

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Isn't "XH 511 T" the deck and not the bottom? If you went to the races back then, you would know that Ray displayed his hardware with Finish Line Hardware in the same place/ booth. All of his cavitation (transom) hardware was Finish Line, way before he ran Hondos. Also, ("among others") without taking anything away from Hewitt and Lange, you have forgotten Mike Brendell, Irv Brendell, Wayne Mettler, Jamie did some work too. I think you could have purchased a "XH 511T" in; circle (flat with chines) hull, 5/8" runner, and 7/8" runner, am I wrong? "Just cann't remember back that long ago".
    If you referrence the old Hondo brochures (pic above), the XH511 was a runnerbottom dragboat. The circle boat was labeled "sprint" either could be built with the Trick deck, straight deck or GT (AKA Bubble T deck).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast