Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Harness

Avenger 1975
    I need to re-wire the boat completely, will install new gauges at the same time. Is there an off-the-shelf wiring harness that anyone recommends? If I buy a harness does it come with in-line fuses or should I install a fuse block?
    Thanks for any help.

RCB19
    L&L Marine out of Corona Ca. has them. 951-256-8600.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I rewired my Taylor summer of '04. Wire in all the right colors from Lowes (mostly 14 gauge, 12Ga ground circuit looped all the way from left side of engine to the right (through the dash), 10 Ga feeder to ign switch & bat hot fuze block, 8 Ga from the Alt, 2 Ga battery cables). I did it all 1 wire at a time. I put Ign switched circuits on a fuze block under the dash. I put battery hot circuits (including the ign switch) on a fuze block under the hood in the eng. bay. The worst was stringing it past the interior. Will clean it up some this winter as interior is out for a flipover(bottom work).

Blown Spectra
    please check your PM's. i have an almost new complete harness.
    Eric

gregr1971
    i went to a boat salvage yard and got one from a johnson outboard, marine grade wire(i think), it was 5.00, a lot cheaper than buying the individual wires,and they are the right colors, aproxx. 25' long, havent had any probs. yet. just my .02

SmokinLowriderSS
    Hmmm I wonder what the dif in "marine" wire is and if it is the same as the diference in making a "marine" engine?

Hmmm I wonder what the dif in "marine" wire is and if it is the same as the diference in making a "marine" engine?
    There is a difference in true "marine" wire vs generic wire found in auto parts shops. Click this link to get to the products page for the wire supplier used by West Marine. Then click "wire and cable" at the bottom of the list.Ancor Products (http://www.ancorproducts.com/Products/Home.html)

I've always heard that the marine wire is tinned to help prevent corrosion. Not sure if it's only the ends, or the entire length of the wire. A buddy of mine bought a "marinized" wire harness, and it's just regular old copper wire. Not even the ends are tinned.
    If it's just the ends, a guy could easily do that himself.

Avenger 1975
    Thanks for all the help guys. I have access to some indoor grade wire but I'd prefer a pre-made harness I think. From reading the link Oldsquirt gave for Ancor Products it sounds like the tinned copper, flexible insulation, and UV and fluid resistant insulation are the main differences in marine grade wire.

Do me a favor? If you call in an order, ask them if it's just the ends that are tinned, or the whole wire? Obviously the UV and fluid resistant insulation would be a good thng too.
    I was also checking their site to see if they sell premade wire harnesses. They might, but I'll be darned if I saw them on the page.
    My winter project is to rewire the barge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast