Thread: ? swapping Alpha1Gen2, to a #1 or Alpha1 Gen1

hyperlite
    Im a newbie and was wanting some info. Well first I have a 1995 Glastron SSV 175 with a 3.0Lx and an Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I bought another boat for a V-8. Its an 898 Mercruiser, which is a 1978 Chev 305 2 bbl. with a #1 Drive. I guess the question is, will this older #1 drive gimbal bolt to my transom? Also would this work in reverse. Will the Alpha 1 Gen 2 bolt into this older 78 Hull? I hope someone has some answers, Well thanks.
    Dustin
    indianawake.com

mach1alaska
    To the best of my knowledge they will interchange no problem as long as you swap out the entire unit including gimbal. all the alpha drives had the same transom cutout and bolt patern even the bravos have the same cutout just 2 more bolts. I would be tempted to keep the gen2 drive in the boat and just go to a higher pitched prop, the only real dif. between the V6 and V8 drives is the gear ratio not strength. an example, if you were runnung a 21 pitch try a 25 pitch.

hyperlite
    Thanks for the info, The only problen I see is my Alpha drive is a 1.98 ratio powered behind a 3.0L 4 cyl. It is a four cylinder drive and I love the fast hole shots. The thing I figured would happen is too many hole shots and Id strip the gears because of the ratio. I would like to try it, just hate to hurt it cause the boat only has 80 hrs use and the drive and engine are like new. Just not the power I prefer. I plan on selling the 3.0Lx engine and the Alpha GEN2 drive, just not sure about the gimbal housings, although Im not even sure I could use the 4 cyl gimbal cause the V-8 I believe is a wider mount for the rear of the engine on the V-8. Any other comments would be great, and thanks for the replies. Thanks

jimslade
    You can change out the gears to 1.5-1 gears.Cost will be around $250 for the gears. Also you need to make sure the stringer mounts are reinforced properly. The 3.0 is front mounted and the 5.0 is side mounted.

hyperlite
    I found a frontmount for a V-8, it is made of aluminum, basically takes place of the old 4 cylinder mount. Just a little forward of it though. Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I use the sidemounts? Thanks Again

jimslade
    Sidemounts, single front mounts cause the engines to shake at idle. I think its a poor design. They now have side mounts for 3.0. side mounts are much stronger.

hyperlite
    Ok side mounts are what Im going with, however I also run into another thing. The inside transom bracket that also houses the power streering ram. The space between the 3.0, 4 cylinder mounts in the rear, where the rear of the engine bolts up is too narrow for the new V-8. The V-8 is a little wider. I guess the question is. My transom assembly inside and out is Alpha Gen II. What do I need to get for this to work? Can I get just any inside transom mount or does it have to be an Alpha Gen II mount? Or will an Alpha Gen I work? Thanks and I hope someone knows the answer as I cant wait to hear the new motor installed in the boat. Thanks again Later All.
    I also wanted to Thank everyone here on ***boat that has helped so much.
    Turn dreams into REALITY
    THANKS