Thread: Block Wall questions???

bear down
    My parents have a block wall that is leaning over. Their neighbor says they have an estimate of $5,000 which they would have to fix the section of the wall that is leaning...The section in question is 20ft. long and the height is about 8'high. They neighbor wants to half the costs but I think that is a bit much. Any feedback would be great...Is there anyone here that does masonary work??? Thanks

JetBoatRich
    Just had a new wall built at a cost of approximately $45 per foot, 6' high. My total wall over 200' long.
    To fix a wall should be more, since you have to tear the section out and rebuild. But I would say it may be a little high :frown:

Creator
    sounds about right. We just did a wall that was only 2-3 feet tall with pillars every 8 feet and about 50-60 feet long. We were having the same problem with it leaning over. It cost us about $7500.00

CornWater
    My parents have a block wall that is leaning over. Their neighbor says they have an estimate of $5,000 which they would have to fix the section of the wall that is leaning...The section in question is 20ft. long and the height is about 8'high. They neighbor wants to half the costs but I think that is a bit much. Any feedback would be great...Is there anyone here that does masonary work??? Thanks
    Is this wall retaining?? If not, then the estimate is way high...

YeLLowBoaT
    bid sounds about right... on a leagal note in CA
    by law if the fence falls down or is in "breachable state" you are required to pay half of the LOWEST bid. So shop around, you don't have to go with the lowest bid but you only have to pay for half of that....If its in ok shape and there is no risk of it falling down any time soon and it does not bug your parents,ie its strickly a cosmetic thing for the ppl on the other side of the wall then your parents do NOT have to pay them a dime. normally this will make living next to some 1 hell but if you don't like them already or can't aford it who really cares. Also check your local code to make sure you can have a 8' high fence(even repairing 1 can be a no no if you live in the wrong county)... most countys call a fence over 6' tall a "structure" which can make life more fun with permits and inspections.

Water Romper
    What’s causing the wall to lean? Is it leaning toward your property? If so, is it a tree that’s on their property or the other way around?
    If it’s their tree, or something else, that’s causing the “damage” they are responsible 100%

Outnumbered
    Sounds about right to me. You are not going to get any deals in the construction biz right now. Keep in mind too that that is an 8' high wall and its a small job. Contractors tend to bid the small jobs higher because they don't really want them (in times like these). There are plenty of big jobs out there that they can afford to do for a lower $$ per foot and make more $$ overall.